Help Filter 'overflowing'?

Eiyrnas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I noticed the tank's filter is 'overflowing', some water is skipping filtration entirely. It's not much, but I imagine it's not ideal. Picture below:

filter.jpg

Now this just recently started happening. I've restricted the flow rate to the minimum and restarted the filter a few times, but it still eventually overflows. I was wondering how I can prevent this? Currently the filter is a stock Top Fin Model: Filter-20G
with a stock cartridge. I don't think the cartridge would need changing since it's pretty new, still mostly white even.

also I'm going to look for a sponge to add for better bacterial filtration, any suggestions?

Best Answer - View Betta02's answer

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would try getting the carbon out of the cartridge. It may be blocking the flow some. Swish it out really good with tank water.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My filter (Same model just bigger) overflowed for a while, I turned a blind eye and eventually it leaked. So I replaced a cartridge and removed some extra sponge I put in there. Be careful putting extra sponge in your filter it can make it overflow even more.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with @StarGirl The carbon in these tiny cartridges can cause them to clog much quicker than they would if they didn't have the carbon in them. I would try to get as much of the carbon out of this cartridge as I could. When it comes time to replace it just cut a slit in the new one while it is still dry and dump the carbon out. Carbon really isn't necessary so removing it will not be a problem.

Betta02

Reaction score
Clean your filter cartridge. My Marineland does this, only after water changes, even though I prime it before restarting everything. Found that if I just lift the filter cartridge up a bit, it stops the overflow.

OP
Eiyrnas

Eiyrnas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@Betta02 that seemed to work, I will look into removing the carbon and try cleaning the cartridge as well. Hopefully if all goes well I'll be able to buy all the stuff needed for a DIY filter from this thread. Thanks everyone!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Eiyrnas said:
@Betta02 that seemed to work, I will look into removing the carbon and try cleaning the cartridge as well. Hopefully if all goes well I'll be able to buy all the stuff needed for a DIY filter from this thread. Thanks everyone!
Lifting the cartridge will stop the over flowing but the water going under the cartridge isn't being filtered, much like the water going out the over flow. Removing the carbon should help.

OP
Eiyrnas

Eiyrnas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@mattgirl I did push it back down into the filter so I don't think it's going under, but I did give it a good shake too which might have helped? Hasn't overflowed yet..

New Threads