Filter options

1. Balthazar32 Initiate Member

Alright, I've been looking around and I'm trying to decide between a couple filters; an eheim 2217, sunsun 304b or a Rena filstar xp4. All are around the same price range but I'm wondering which would be better for a 75 gallon planted tank. It would be with an aqua clear 70 and maybe a Rena filstar xp1 if I can figure out what's wrong with it. Any thoughts on which would be best? Or suggestions of other canister filters are appreciated as well! Thanks

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

I do not know much about the sunsun or the Rena but I had an Eheim, loved it till it stopped.
    It was used when I got it free in a used tank deal.
    However, I have used one brand now for several months and really like it as it restarts after power outages and just keeps going. It is the Cascade, I have two sizes and one is on my 75g tank along with a aquaclear. This tank in particular houses mbuna cichlids and is overstocked to decrease aggression. The two filters keep this tank crystal clear!

3. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

There are many good brands of canister filters on the market now.
    Most, if not all, are really well manufactured because they have to be " fit for purpose ", and good manufacturing techniques allow this.
    Another brand worth looking at is the " Tetratec " range.
    I used a load of them in the UK, and never had a single issue with them that was not my fault.

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

SunSun all the way, in my opinion. They are super cheap, super quiet, and have tons of media space for lots of media options. For the price of 1 other brand canister you can buy 2 or 3 SunSuns. I have the HW-302 on my 40 gallon and it does an awesome job. Here is a good thread on the SunSun showing what it includes and some info....

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/383115-hw-302-canister-filter/