Filter Opinions

1. orandagal Member Member

When I bought my aquarium kit (29 gallon) it included the Hagen Aqua-Clear filter. More is better (in some cases, right) and I'm thinking about possibly getting a bigger filter, but unsure if:

#1. I need to get a bigger one? - current one is to 30 gallon (150 gph)
    #2. If you think I should go up, would you go up to 50 gallon (200 gph)
    #3. Or go for the gusto and get 70 gallon (100-300 gph)

or should I leave well enough alone?

Opinions, comments welcome :)

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you can, get the 70. If not, get the 50 to add to the 30 you have.

3. TmacD Member Member

I actually just downgraded my filter. I know on here people are really big on filtratoin, filtration, filtration!!!! I had a tetra ex70 filter on my 29 for 7 months. I can tell you there is such a thing as TOO much filtration. It ran at 340 gph. That filter almost sucked me in a couple of times.

I just transitioned to a hagen aquaclear 50, which runs at 200 gph max with adjustable intake flow. I can tell you my fish are a lot happier not having to fight the current all the time. I think that would be the best option for you. Granted you can crank the 70 down, but I don't think there's any reason to spend the extra cash.

I would not add the 50 with the 30.

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would personally go for the 50. Sometimes the bigger filters don't fit on smaller tanks as well. I know the aqueons are like that, the bigger ones are made to go over the bigger lips of tanks. If you do go for the 70 just make sure it will fit before you throw out all the packaging and receipt.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The extra biomedia it holds is more than enough reason. Volume of media is the most important component of filtration.

The AC70 fits well on a 29.

6. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Debbie,
    IMO - let your parameters dictate the answer.

Whilst generally I subscribe to "bigger is better" for two reasons, namely extra bio media, and water volume, it is not always necessary.

Assuming the tank has now cycled, and you are maintaining 0 Amm, 0 Nitrite, then I would say your current filter is fine.

If, having cycled the tank, added the fish, and the ammonia and nitrite have not returned to 0 (it is normal to get a small spike when you add fish/bio-load), then I would suggest a bigger filter as it suggests that the current system can't keep up with the bio-load.

my 2c.

7. orandagal Member Member

Thank you all so much for your replies. I think I'm going to get the 70 gallon for a few reasons. My tank is fully cycled, and all readings are good with the exception of the nitrates, it's right at 40. With having 3 goldfish, (two smaller ones) I know I will have to move up in size on aquariums eventually (and that is my goal for the future) and I want to give them the best possible healthy living situation I can. I've have been to all of my "shopping sites" and right now the best deal is on Amazon.com. I can get the 70 gallon for $37.98 + tax and no shipping (comes out to a little over $40.00) and it really doesn't make sense to spend $34.46 on the 50 gallon if I can go up to the 70 gallon for a few bucks more. I love the Aqua-Clear I have now, very quiet and there is a lever on it to turn the flow down, which will work if the output becomes too much. I do thank you all for your help with this.

8. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Just a quick mention: Bigger filters do not reduce Nitrates.

The only ways to remove/reduce nitrates in FW are:
    - Water Changes (the best method)
    - Adding plants can help (but no guarentees, depends on the type of plant)
    - Chemical absorption using nitrate reducers
    - Reducing the bio-load.

Just didn't want you to have the wrong expectations ;)

edit: or increase the water volume, which dilutes the concentration (same effect as doing a water change)

9. orandagal Member Member

Oh I know it won't help the nitrates, but I still think it will benefit in the end. I have plants-that I'm actually managing to keep alive (lol) and if for some reason the bigger one just doesn't work, I will put it up for the time I do get the bigger aquarium. (I want to go up to a 40 gallon)
    Thanks again everyone :)

10. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Awesome - you may already know this, but be sure to either a) keep the old filter running for a month or 2, b) move all your media to the new filter to avoid a cycle ;)

And, IMO go the 70, 10x turnover for a hob is good.

11. orandagal Member Member

Thanks Ryan, is ordered and should be here in a week or two :)

12. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello! Just a quick question:

Is your water chemistry stable? Your aquarium info shows both ammonia and nitrites. Any level of ammonia or nitrite is not good. And goldies output lots of waste as you know LOL. :)

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Hahaha I hope they've changed since february :)

14. orandagal Member Member

Yes, all read at 0, (but Nitrates) need to change my info. That was when I first started my cycle. Thanks and I'll change them :)