Filter on or off with cloudy water

• Thread starter Tetra27
  • Start date

Tetra27

Just set up a tank yesterday with fine sand substrate a s the water is cloudy. Should I have the filter running now or allow the cloudiness to disappear before setting it up.

Attachments

ValkyrieLips

Well Known
You can run the filter now and add a polishing pad or filter floss if you have it to help filter the particles.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
I'd let it run. The sandparticles must have sunk allready. It looks green BTW. Is that only the pic ?

Tetra27

ValkyrieLips said:
You can run the filter now and add a polishing pad or filter floss if you have it to help filter the particles.
I don't have either of them

Darwinthebloodparrot

That water looks kind of green to be honest it doesn’t look like sand

is this an old tank?
Is it just the picture or is the water green?
Do you have lights?

I know this isn’t the initial question but just wanted to make sure everything is going good in your tank

Tetra27

Darwinthebloodparrot said:
That water looks kind of green to be honest it doesn’t look like sand

is this an old tank?
Is it just the picture or is the water green?
Do you have lights?

I know this isn’t the initial question but just wanted to make sure everything is going good in your tank

This is a brand new tank, I have my bedroom light on if that mattees and to me the water just looks murky. Water was that colour right from when I added it in with the sand. the second image is what it was like yesterday so it has cleared a bit.

Attachments

Darwinthebloodparrot

Did you wash your sand first to get any little particles out?

Tetra27

Darwinthebloodparrot said:
Did you wash your sand first to get any little particles out?

Yes I did wash it although I don't think I did it thoroughly enough as it clouded the water as soon as it went in. I have a stone in there if that means anything?

Tetra27

I think it has been caused by putting a piece of bogwood in that wasn't boiled. I have taken it out since I've had it in for just over 24 hours and am going to boil it for a while before putting it in again.

Tetra27

That's what it looks like with the tank light on.

Attachments

ValkyrieLips

Well Known
I don't think it was the wood. The cloudiness is from suspended particles in the water column, and is very common when add/disturbing sand substrates. Eventually it will clear up on it's own, or you could try a bioclarifier.

Tetra27

ValkyrieLips said:
I don't think it was the wood. The cloudiness is from suspended particles in the water column, and is very common when add/disturbing sand substrates. Eventually it will clear up on it's own, or you could try a bioclarifier.

I'll leave it for another 2 days or so with the filter running and see what happens. Hopefully it settles by then.

Top Bottom