Filter on AquaTop 8g curved corner tank Question

1. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I know at least one other person ordered one of their sale tanks so... I haven't a clue about some of the filter workings. I would assume you put some sort of charcoal / Purigen / etc. in the filter?? And what on earth is the little airline tube and its attached dodad for?? Help!! I'm hoping to set this up and get it cycling this weekend, IF I can figure out the filter!

2. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

From what I understand your tank comes with a mechanical filter pad, but it has no bio media( where your BB will live) and no carbon, which some people find unnecessary.

I don't know if your tank has space for purigen and I don't know about the airline tubing.

Enjoy your new toy!

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Is this your tank ?:
    http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-curved-corner-tank-cc-a8.html

If so, you have whats known as a trickle filter. You can stack the media in the tray as you wish, you can use a polishing pad at the base, some ceramic media above that, and some sponge or floss at the top. The way the filter works is a power head sucks water up from your tank and via a spray bar trickles or sprays water onto the tray from the top down where the water goes through your media and back into your tank.

4. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Thanks! Yes, that's the one. Ahhh, that makes sense. I don't know why I couldn't find that; must have been too late for me! Evidently the little bit of airline hose and the doohicky on the end of it doesn't do anything. Odd!

5. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

The airline hose and im assuming the unknown piece your are referring hooks up to the side of your powerheads intake tube to add air should you ever decide to use your power head in reverse and add current to you water. does the airline and unknown piece look like the one in this photo:

http://www.petsolutions.com/images/Products/15510570.jpg

6. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Yes, that's it! What a relief, LOL! I was (obviously) totally mystified :eek: Thank you - you've answered all my questions :happy0064:

7. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Now have fun finalizing your new tank!!!

Happy 4th !!

8. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

It actually has a lot of room for filter media of all sorts. It's a pretty cool little tank.

Happy to you and yours on the 4th too! I'm spending my *holiday* doing more planting in the 45g and getting ready to clean out the 10g, THEN set up the new toy :party0024:

9. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

You and I are doing the same, just finished up one water change, time to the next one. BBQ will start in an hour and then, we live one block away from the largest firework show in our area, so we sit under out patio every year with the misters on (its 100F right now) and watch the show with the best seats. Have fun!

10. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a great 4th! I'm still busy messing with tanks, fun though :p