Filter Not Working Properly

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Dandelion-Dream, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Dandelion-Dream

Dandelion-DreamValued MemberMember

I've recently encountered an issue with my TopFin 10g filter. It's been managing a heavy bioload for a year now, but just recently it's been acting improperly. The output has been reduced to a trickle, and I'm afraid this might impact my fish.
    I have had some issues with brown algae in my tank, but nothing too serious for the most part.

Should I change the cartridge, take apart and scrub the inside of the filter, or fix any electrical problems? I'd like an upfront answer, I don't want my fish stewing in their own waste for too long.

NOTE: I am currently planning out a new, more spacious upgrade to resolve the overstocking issue. I would like to first fix my filter before discussing that.

2. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Have you tried cleaning the filter? Could be growth in the impeller.. I would clean both.

3. OP
    OP
    Dandelion-Dream

How would I clean the cartridge? Is rinsing it in tap water safe?

4. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Rinse it in treated water, or tank water.

5. OP
    OP
    Dandelion-Dream

Bump
    I'd like some more input on this, just to be sure.

6. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Easy to try to clean filter first, if it doesn't help enough, try the impeller. Or are you asking if you should just replace it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice