Filter Not Pumping After Power Outage?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Cneum, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Cneum

Cneum New Member Member

So my new Aqueon Quiet 50 has been filtering beautifully adding a nice little waterfall to boot with normal humming, the power goes out and it's no problem..then I come home and it's really loud humming, like it doesn't sound right.
    So I unplug it and check for any debris blocking it, nothing I take apart the motor and inspect the impeller, nothing. I tried resetting my extension cord, using a different outlet with no luck. I put everything back in, same uneasy humming. I don't know what it is.

The filter says have the water level up to 1" of the aquarium tanks edge/lip but before it was working fine without having it that high. I also have a moss ball that's somehow shedding but again I took it apart with no luck on blockage. It doesn't need to be primed either .. :/

2. Grimgore

Grimgore New Member Member

Hi,,, does the filter need priming? .. can you fill the filter from the top Using a small jug .. my small hang on filter does the same when switched off or when tank water level gets to low the pump will struggle to work pumping air .. hope this helps

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Pour water into the back chamber until it overflows from the lip. That should get the suction going.

4. OP
    OP
    Cneum

Cneum New Member Member

Turns out it only needed to be primed, no clogs were present and nothing was damaged I just filled the back chamber with some water, thank you guys! I guess even though it's one that says it doesn't need to be primed you have to prime it when this happens. Thanks again!

5. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

That filter will self prime if you keep the water level high enough. Once it's going as long as the intake is below the surface it will run. It just can't self prime if it gets too low. It's also a little harder on the filter to keep the water low. Just an fyi.

6. tocandesu

tocandesu Well Known Member Member

It is very surprising that it worked. Was the Aqueon Logo on the filter motor completely submerged?

7. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

Also, those impellers work on vibration instead of a complete circle of motion. This means that it is less likely to self prime if the water isn't high enough.

They can also overheat quickly without water, much like running out of gas in your car. This drastically reduced lifespan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice