Filter Modification

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by BaseballMom, Mar 28, 2019.

1. BaseballMom

BaseballMomValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +65
    Si, I’ve been watching YouTube videos on how to modify a HOB filter to make them better by changing the media. Specifically from a filter cartridge to sponge. I’d like to do that, but how can I make sure I don’t lose my bacteria colony? I can’t fit the sponge in the compartment with the existing cartridge to run them together, which is what first comes to mind. Any suggestions?

I am also running a dual sponge filter but I’m not sure it’s even working the way it should TBH so I don’t want to rely on it

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,076
    Experience:
    2 years
    You could take the cartridge and cut off the cotton type material that is wrapped around the frame of the cartridge and wrap it around your new sponge and just toss the frame of the cartridge. Thats a start. then you can add a mesh or panty hose bag of ceramic type media which im sure you have already seen in some videos. but cutting as much of the stuff off the cartridge will save your BB. Good Luck!

3. jjohnwm

jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,750
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Okay, I'll bite: how on earth does a sponge filter not work? It's got no moving parts. Put it in the tank, attach the airline. Got bubbles? Success!

Why would you suspect that it's not working?

4. OP
    OP
    BaseballMom

Ratings:
    +65
    It’s not gunky at all while my HOB is disgusting so I just don’t think it’s filtering just blowing bubbles lol

Awesome thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2019
  5. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,274
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    All depends on the length of the lift tube. If the lift tube is short, air just exits the sponge filter there is very little suction. If the lift tube extends to the top of the tank, that is maximum lift and the greatest amount of suction through the sponge.

Maybe you could modify your HOB by reading here.

Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2019
  6. jjohnwm

jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,750
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yep. More suction translates to more flow and more gunk. :)

Bear in mind that even if you set up the sponge for maximum flow, it still won't be anywhere near what a typical HOB or other power filter will move. The power filter is always going to do the lion's share of mechanical filtration. The sponge filter's role, in a tank like this, is to provide plenty of biological filtration, which comes in handy when you need or want to do some kind of work on the other filter.

If you get very little gunk when you rinse the sponge, there's no reason to rinse it. It does it's best work when undisturbed. I have tanks that utilize Matten filters, which are essentially just giant sponge filters. I'll vacuum the surface a bit when changing the water, but only remove them and rinse lightly once in a very great while...like a year or more. In most cases, those big sponges are the only filters in my tanks which means that they are mechanical as well as biological, so they get a lot dirtier than yours does.

7. OP
    OP
    BaseballMom

Ratings:
    +65
    It has a decently long lift tube (I assume that is the tube that blows the bubbles). It actually suctions to the side of the tank so I could make it reach the top of I need to, but that tube is an easy 7-8 inches I think. it just isn't collecting gunk.

okay thanks! I've left it running regardless because I figure if I ever want to start a new tank or something, those sponges have to have some bacteria on them to move over and jump start a new cycle.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2019
  8. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Experience:
    1 year
    Either a week air pump or a leak where water can enter the lift tube without going through sponge first.

That's all I can think of.

My sponge filters collect a lot of muck.

@BaseballMom , check out the link that Cichlidude posted.

It will have the info you need to modify your filter.