Filter mess :(

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was doing my daily wc as I'm still cycling (coming to an end) today my results were ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 40. While doing this I noticed a part of the piece that holds my to biomax bag closed was missing. I have a aquaclear. I didn't intend to pull the basket up but it came a little when I moved the bag and all this gunk came out (brown gunk is best way to discrbe) my already lower water level tank was instantly cloudy with all this. I tried to vacum any big gunk chuncks I seen ( as I had the vacum in there cleaning)but it was difficult. My danios definaitly started acting stressed and I added stresscoat to the new water too. It's a little
messy looking still but my filter seems to be clearing it up. My fish seem to be calming down fine except one who is moving it's mouth allot but otherwise normal..is she ok? I'm Also worried that my cycle will be messed up now because it's like I did a big water Change and cleaned the filters halfway. Now the water is almost clear but not the crystal clear I'm accustomed to. I didn't want to do another change to try and get rid of more stuff since I just did one and thought it might make things worse.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well i'm glad you cycled your tank! but don't over clean too much. once, after one of my tanks was cycled, i over cleaned the filter media and it threw me into a mini cycle. it was a very small tank, so the balance is very delicate. yours is a 20? it should be a little more forgiving.

i'd probably say not to vacuum anymore or clean the filter. see what happens in the next couple days and keep doing the water tests to make sure it's ok. after i clean my 20g i stir up a bunch of junk and it's "messy" for a bit until the filter takes care of it. i think it should be ok. but i'm not positively sure

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks yes it's a 20. I didn't intend to clean it . Dumb mistake on my part. I just wanted to make sure the bag was closed. only other thing iv ever touched the filter for was to change carbon..it's pretty clear now but I see lots of little particles unlike normal clear water. The one fish is hiding in the plants and everyone else is swimming around like all is cool. Do you think it just startled her?

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Yeah, your filter sucks it up but it still remains in the filter. What you need to do is unplug the filter first, if you just pull the basket up first, well you learned what happens, lol and dump all the filter media into a bucket of tank water, do this on your next water change, all that gunk contributes to high nitrAte readings. Swish everything out and clean the impeller off so your filter will run at it's best. The bacteria anchors itself with a sticky substance, I read that in an article, so you don't have to worry about loosing it. Get as much gunk out of the sponge as you can by gently squeezing it a few times, since you have that biomax in there, they contain surfaces for mass colonies. The sponges main job is to catch excess food, waste and other debris. I squeeze my sponges and never have any issues.

Last edited:

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I learned the not so fun hard way I feel so lame lol How do I clean the impeller? Oops found it on the directions

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as long as you didn't get too crazy with the filter media (like cleaning it in tap water or whatever) then you should be alright, just test the next few days to be sure. It's not unusual to get buildup of muck in the filter parts.

I've had the water looking pretty mucky after stirring the bottom during vacuuming, it'll settle or get filtered out in time. That was one reason why i switched substrate to sand or nothing :]

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom