Filter Media

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Need a little more information Amder. Are you talking about a filter that hangs on the back of your tank, a canister filter with hoses, or a wet/dry open filter.
Amber Fuschetto said:
when should I change the filter media? (Besides the cycling cork-screw looking things.. sorry don’t know the exact name LOL!)

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As @finnipper59 said more info is needed.

The way I do it is I have both HOB bio wheels and canisters on all our aquariums. One week I clean the HOB and the next week I clean the canisters.

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry! I have a canister that hangs on the back of the tank. It has 3 sections for the filter media as well. I believe it’s a black back, a sponge, and then the little cork screw looking things. Thanks!
finnipper59 said:
Need a little more information Amder. Are you talking about a filter that hangs on the back of your tank, a canister filter with hoses, or a wet/dry open filter.

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry my fault! I have a canister that hangs on the back of the tank. I have 3 spots: a black baggy, a sponge, and the cork screw looking things. Sorry if this doesn’t make sense.. I’m not sure what the exact names of them are. I just know never to change those cork screw things but I haven’t changed the other things in quite some time..
Thunder_o_b said:
As @finnipper59 said more info is needed.

The way I do it is I have both HOB bio wheels and canisters on all our aquariums. One week I clean the HOB and the next week I clean the canisters.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amber Fuschetto said:
Sorry my fault! I have a canister that hangs on the back of the tank. I have 3 spots: a black baggy, a sponge, and the cork screw looking things. Sorry if this doesn’t make sense.. I’m not sure what the exact names of them are. I just know never to change those cork screw things but I haven’t changed the other things in quite some time..
Rinse the sponge, change the black bags (carbon) at least every 3 weeks. I recharge my carbon every other week.

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thunder_o_b said:
Rinse the sponge, change the black bags (carbon) at least every 3 weeks. I recharge my carbon every other week.
that won’t harm my fish by changing the carbon correct? I trust you completely I just want to make sure because when I first started out I did everyone wrong Lol. Thanks so much again

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amber Fuschetto said:
that won’t harm my fish by changing the carbon correct? I trust you completely I just want to make sure because when I first started out I did everyone wrong Lol. Thanks so much again
As long as you are fully cycled and just rinse the sponge, changing he carbon will not cause you any issues. Carbon looses its effectiveness after a few weeks of use. Many people do not us it at all and add more bio media.

Keep in mind that any time you change anything with the filtration there is the chance of disturbing the cycle. This is one of the reasons I run multiple filters on our aquariums, and service them on rotation.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just remember to rince everything, use dechlorinated water. Just put your sponge in a bucket or large bowl and squish it a fet times.

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thunder_o_b said:
As long as you are fully cycled and just rinse the sponge, changing he carbon will not cause you any issues. Carbon looses its effectiveness after a few weeks of use. Many people do not us it at all and add more bio media.

Keep in mind that any time you change anything with the filtration there is the chance of disturbing the cycle. This is one of the reasons I run multiple filters on our aquariums, and service them on rotation.
Awesome thanks for help help!

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
finnipper59 said:
Just remember to rince everything, use dechlorinated water. Just put your sponge in a bucket or large bowl and squish it a fet times.
Sounds good thanks for the advice! :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom