Filter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cander

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve a 30 gallon tank that is cycled and I’m wanting to start up a ten gallon quickly but I don’t have enough filter media to cycle my new tank. So I had an idea I would cut straws into circles put them into a bag that will allow water flow through. Then I’ll place this into my filter to build up bacteria. After awhile I’ll place this into the ten gallon filter and let it seed the filter. Will this work. How long should I leave the straws in the filter.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That could work, although something like a straw wouldn't provide as much surface area as, let's say, a sponge or some porous material. Depending on the bioload going into the 10 gallon, it'd work, but I'd go ahead and get something with more surface area. A chemical-free sponge, some lava rock (in a media bag and rinsed) would both work a bit better in the long run.

You have to leave it in the tank for around a month for bacteria to get a really good hold, I think.

musserump09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That could work, although something like a straw wouldn't provide as much surface area as, let's say, a sponge or some porous material. Depending on the bioload going into the 10 gallon, it'd work, but I'd go ahead and get something with more surface area. A chemical-free sponge, some lava rock (in a media bag and rinsed) would both work a bit better in the long run.

You have to leave it in the tank for around a month for bacteria to get a really good hold, I think.
I would just run the new filter on the 30 that will go on the 10gallon for a month. Transfer over once set up and you should have an instant cycle tank per say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.8%

Top Bottom