Filter Media Question

1. Cander

Cander Valued Member Member

I’ve a 30 gallon tank that is cycled and I’m wanting to start up a ten gallon quickly but I don’t have enough filter media to cycle my new tank. So I had an idea I would cut straws into circles put them into a bag that will allow water flow through. Then I’ll place this into my filter to build up bacteria. After awhile I’ll place this into the ten gallon filter and let it seed the filter. Will this work. How long should I leave the straws in the filter.

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

That could work, although something like a straw wouldn't provide as much surface area as, let's say, a sponge or some porous material. Depending on the bioload going into the 10 gallon, it'd work, but I'd go ahead and get something with more surface area. A chemical-free sponge, some lava rock (in a media bag and rinsed) would both work a bit better in the long run.

You have to leave it in the tank for around a month for bacteria to get a really good hold, I think.

3. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

I would just run the new filter on the 30 that will go on the 10gallon for a month. Transfer over once set up and you should have an instant cycle tank per say

4. OP
    OP
    Cander

Cander Valued Member Member

Ok thank you guys