Filter Media?

1. NeonTetra11 Member Member

When its time to change my filter media on my Hang on back filter how do i remove the floss without losing BB? I know pet product manufacturers recommend every month but most people keep it in untill it's just floss. On my 10 gallon theres little space to stuff the floss behind the new cartridge.

Also when you do a water change and i move the filter cartridge a bit up or down. A lot of gunk is released into the water. How safe is it for my fish?

2. ChiefBrody Member Member

Absolutely safe. It's just what builds up around the cartridge. On my HOB the bio-wheel wont spin when this happens. As the mechanical filter clogs up it impedes water flow which is not good. So change that every month or as needed. I also keep biomedia in the little overflow inside the HOB itself as it's prime real estate and why not encourage more BB? These are a handful of lava rocks which I never really touch. Floss is changed the day after each WC in a perfect world but it's really just aesthetic

I never use the cartridges designed for it cuz they have activated carbon and I think it's more trouble than it's worth

3. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I never change filter cartridges. I also remove the carbon. I don't think there is any point on removing them. I only clean out my canister filters.

4. Summer22 Member Member

I change my filter floss when it starts showing signs of falling apart.. threads coming off into the water from output (or when I wash it in old tank water from water change and I can tell it's about to fall apart).
    I'm not sure in your situation what to do if you don't have space in cartridge for second media floss. I put an extra one in behind the existing one for a month before I throw out the old one. Would you be able to buy a different filter that has a bit more space? Otherwise I hope someone here has a solution to suggest.

5. ChiefBrody Member Member

I like the "never change" idea. I also adhere to the "don't buy anything" idea. Just "hot-rod" what you have til it dies - but have a back-up!
    I'm trying to keep fish healthy not keep industry executives on the golf course. There's always old equipment up for grabs at our fish club. I think any serious fishkeeper should join they're local chapter. I'd rather spend my money there than on the internet, etc. They're all a bunch of pigs selling made in China garbage or overpriced made in Europe garbage. I make my own garbage out of parts sourced right here in the good 'ol.... ok I'll stop you get it