Filter Media

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by brooklynmv, Apr 11, 2017.

1. brooklynmv

brooklynmvNew MemberMember

I have a TopFin 20 Power Filter and the filter cartridges are very expensive for my liking, also I've heard that these filter cartridges do almost nothing? What type of other filter media could I put into the filter to make it perform better and be less heavy on my wallet?

2. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

You could use just plain filter floss.

The filters shouldn't be all that expensive, because ideally they'll last for a year or more.

3. Rivermonster

RivermonsterValued MemberMember

Course foam and porus rock, ceramic rock/rings

4. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

Where can I find the filter moss? And I use just that and put it in the area of the filter where the cartridge would go?

5. happygolucky

happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

If I were you I would get a different filter that allows for separate biological and mechanical filtration. I have the same filter as you, and replaced it with an AquaClear (highly recommend).

Even though the company/store tells you to replace the filter cartridge often, you really shouldn't. So you can use it for as long as possible, but once it starts to fall apart you need to put it a new one and you lose your cycle. What I would do is buy some biological filtration (i.e Seachem Matrix), and put that in the filter. Then you can use the cartridges for as long as possible as mechanical filtration, then just replace it when it can no longer pass water through and cleaning won't help. This preserves your cycle (because you never replace the Matrix) and helps you save money.

6. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

Awesome! Thank you!

7. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Here is the video that helped me the most. It told me about each type of media and how they worked.

Then I searched for my HOB filter and home made media. It literally walked me through exactly how to set up my current filter with the media.

Here is one for the Top Fin 10, I think they are very similar, with the 20 being a bit bigger.

You may have to pay more upfront for supplies, but they will literally last you for years. Versus just a few months with the biobags/cartridges.

I just got a whole new tank going yesterday if you want to check out my fancy new filter and the media I used. This was a whole new set up for me, but I think I am really going to like it. You just have to adapt the amounts for smaller filters. You just have to figure out what you want to use first.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice