Filter media

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MatthewM, Jul 8, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

Now that i finally got around to getting my tank planted. Im removing the carbon from all my filters as not to counteract the seachem ferts. What would be a good combo now? I already decided my hob is going to JUST be de-nitrate by seachem. Unless you all have another idea. And my cannister is gonna be, bottom to top, foam blocks, bio stars, purigen and de-nitrate in the same rack, and the top i dont know yet... Btw, will purigen affect the ferts like carbon? Or am i okay with that...

2. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Not saying you shouldn't proceed the way you have but there is no scientific facts that say carbon will remove fertilizers.

3. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Please remember that de-nitrate does nothing to reduce nitrates unless the flow flow of the filter is 50 gph or less, so Matrix might be a good solution (regardless, de-nitrate will provide a fine bio-bed media at higher flow rates). Just that matrix is a little less expensive. rick

4. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I know its not positive. But i have read on a lot of places that carbon doesnt remove all of it, but can absorb some. And as I'm heavily planted with no co2, i want no risks. Plus i dont really need the carbon anyway...

It has been working quite well so far, as its lowered my nitrates from 40ppm and above down to under 20..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  5. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Wonder if the nitrate reduction was from the plants? I mean, how do you know which one reduced it? I want the de-nitrate to work ,in the process of setting some up myself.

6. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I didnt put plants in till yesterday. I was running de nitrate for about a month

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice