Filter media w/out recycle?

bmxer193
My filter media is about 3 months old, and for the last 2 weeks or so water has been pouring out of the over flow slot. Every week I swirl the media in used water to clean it but no matter how much I try I can't get the media clean enough so that isn't over flowing. So my question is how do I switch fliter medias without causing a recycle?

Trpimp147
what you doo is if it has two filter pads, replace one at a time, and cut a piece of the old filter media and place it in front of the new one and it will pass every thing on to the new one and such.

bmxer193
I don't I have 2, only 1

bmxer193
unless I pulled out the biofiber then I might be able to fit 2

Lucy
I'd leave the bio fiber in there. Lots of good bacteria on that, so replacing the filter pad shouldn't cause a cycle.
I have the same kind of filter you have, but I remove the carbon from the filter cartridge.
Are you sure that's what's causing the overflow? Does it flow correctly if you remove it?
You can fit 2.....just slice one off it's plastic mount and tuck it in between the bio fiber and the existing cartridge. Although, unless you are going to cycle a second tank, I don't know why you would need 2 filter pads plus the bio fiber.

bmxer193
its fine it I take the media out. So I should cut the plastic off the NEW media and put it between the biofiber and old media?! then how will the media stay in place when I take out the old one?

Lucy
Although, unless you are going to cycle a second tank, I don't know why you would need 2 filter pads plus the bio fiber.

Sorry about the confusion, I only mentioned that because you said you couldn't fit 2, you can, but the only reason I could see in wanting 2 is if you were going to cycle another tank with used media.

You won't start a minI cycle by replacing the cartridge.
Does it overflow with a brand new cartridge in it?
I would remove the carbon because it can go bad and release toxins into your tank.

Trpimp147
I removed carbon. I have the emporer 400 it can hold for sections of media if I'm not using carbon, also it has the bio wheels. so if you remove carbon and insert two floss you will have more biolodgical material then with the carbon so if you clean the old filter media in tank water you won't lose as much due to having two of them and if you need to talse the old and put a new one you can just move the one in the back and move it to the front so the water flows and pushes the bio to the new pad. (sorry if I'm not clear)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Tol
Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views