Filter Media Stacking Order

StarGirl

I installed a Eheim pro canister filter last summer/fall. It seems to be working great I love how quiet it is!!!, but on here I always see others stacking their bio media differently than mine. I set mine up how it said, so is there a wrong way to set it up?

Mine is
Bottom tray black spirally plastic things
Middle tray beige wooden/rock looking ball things with poly pad on top of them with lid
top is the coarse blue sponge

Just curious is all It seems to be working fine

Fanatic

I don't have a canister but when I did I had it layered from bottom to top with, coarse sponges, carbon, cycled media, and filter floss.

There's really not a wrong way as long as your filter is running and it has media in it, you can order it in any way you'd like, but I typically like to keep the sponges down lower as a personal preference.

kmbeck

The blue coarse foam is a prefilter. After the water goes through that it drops to the bottom of the canister and rises up through the rest of the media.The only suggestion I would make is to put the poly pad on the bottom so it can catch the small gunk before the water goes through your biomedia.

Islandvic

Eheim Pro canisters are a bit odd as far as how water flows thought the trays.

Water comes in and flows first through the top tray with the coarse blue foam sponge pad.

It then channels down through a conduit to the very bottom of the canister.

The water then starts its journey back up and out to the tank.

Water hits the bottom tray next and then middle trays, then finally exiting the canister.

In my opinion, water should flow through media in the following order:

1st: mechanical.

Coarse then medium then fine mechanical media.

2nd: biological

3rd: chemical (optional)

The black plastic spirals is what Eheim calls "Mech Pro", which is their coarse/medium mechanical filtration.

What you called "wooden/rock balls" is their "Substrat Pro", which is the biological media the beneficial bacteria colonizes on.

You can use some layers of PolyFil batting to replace the white pad.

Polyfil can be found at Walmart and craft stores for $5 a bag. It is used for pillow and quilt stuffing. 100% safe for aquarium use.

The batting version can be cut to fit your trays. I use it and it works well as the fine mechanical filtration media.

StarGirl

This is my filter here.... Like I said I was just curious of why the setup is different than others....
6665-Alt-B.jpg

How often do you change out the "substrat" pro media?

bgclarke

How often do you change out the "substrat" pro media?
You shouldn't need to change it out at all, unless it starts crumbling.

Islandvic

I agree with bgclarke , the only media that needs to be replaced is the white fine floss pad.

StarGirl15 , how is the set up different than other canisters ?

Most brands always put the white fine floss pad last.

Myself and others find that method less than optimal.

I would rather catch all the muck in the water, before it flows into the biological media. That way it doesn't start to get gunked up.

StarGirl

I agree with bgclarke , the only media that needs to be replaced is the white fine floss pad.

StarGirl15 , how is the set up different than other canisters ?

Most brands always put the white fine floss pad last.

Myself and others find that method less than optimal.

I would rather catch all the muck in the water, before it flows into the biological media. That way it doesn't start to get gunked up.
Can you just switch the trays?
The blue coarse one has a inlet like thing in it. It seems like it needs to be there. the floss is on top of the Substrat material in the box and has a lid. I could probably switch the middle and bottom one? I just do it like all the videos and box says.

CocoCappuccino

I'm a bit curious as to how canister filters actually work, I only have HOB filters.

Skavatar

the only video I could find on the Pro4 250, the blue is a pre filter. put the white pad in the bottom tray, trap all the much at the bottom, keep the bio media clean.

StarGirl

the only video I could find on the Pro4 250, the blue is a pre filter. put the white pad in the bottom tray, trap all the much at the bottom, keep the bio media clean.
So he pretty much put the filter floss in between the bio filter trays. I can do that next time I clean my filter. (just did this last week) So is my Substrat all gooped up now do you think?

I'm a bit curious as to how canister filters actually work, I only have HOB filters.
They shoot the intake water to the bottom then it filters up through the media to the outlet. I have a larger tank (55 gal) They are so much quieter than a HOB. Mine I have to feel it to see if it is running or not....

Islandvic

Next time you open it up, I would replace the white fine pad and put the new one on top of the bottom tray of the black plastic Mech Pro.

Everything else is good.

If set up like that, the water enters the canister and hits the blue coarse foam first. It then gets diverted down to the bottom and flows back up hitting the Mech Pro and fine pad next, then finally the Substrat Pro.

Here is a to the Eheim pre-filter that attachat to the intake tube.

It's on sale for $8 at Live Aquaria's website. They have a good sale/clearance going in now on a lot of stuff.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Jeroen712
Replies
Views
CHJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
jtjgg