Filter Media Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by abby:), Apr 18, 2018.

1. a

abby:) Valued Member Member

I am planning to replace the cartridge that came with my filter with lava rock but how would I do that without getting rid of all the good bacteria and should I even do that, Thanks in advance.

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

You really don't need to change it. Just rinse off in old tank water, NOT chlorinated tap water, and plop it back in. Mine's been running for a year and a half with just rinses.

3. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

you can do it in stages. put some lava rock in the space in your filter for a week then after a week pull the cartridge and fill it with lava rock and a coarse sponge. This will spread your colony without destroying it.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I actually would put the lava rock with your current media and wait about a month before removing whatever you want to remove.

The reason I say a month is that you want the lava rock to get as much B.B. in there. Removing a week later might not be enough for the lava rock to support the tank.

5. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

A month can work too. Realistically a week will do it. The important part is that your exsisting media be in there with the lava rock to increase the potential for BB growth until you cut the cord as it were from being tied to pet store media

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice