5 Gallon Tank Filter media question

rkeehn547

Hello, I have a aqua tech 5-15 filter for my 5 gallon tank and I’m thinking of replacing the filter cartridge with aqua clear foam for better filtration. My tank is fully cycled and I’ve heard that replacing the filter can interfere with the beneficial bacteria. My filter has a pre filter sponge and a bacteria bio grid inside of it. Would it be okay to replace the cartridge straight away or leave the cartridge in with the foam for a little while to collect bacteria? Thank you

BigManAquatics

I would leave the cartridge in for awhile to avoid a cycle crash. That's where the majority of the bacteria tends to be.

Upvote 0

Chalupacabra

I agree with this.

Even when I set up a cartridge-using filter, even if I continue using the cartridges, I always drop in a filter bag of bio media just to make sure that doesn’t get messed with.

I even do this on the Penguin filters with their biowheels.

Once that’s been in there for a while, you now have a core to work from and can tweak and tune or, as a certain streaming media personality likes to say, “supercharge” your filter to your heart’s content.
I also recommend a coarse predicted sponge if you haven’t put one in already. It solves a large number of issues out the gate, gives you more bio media surface area, and keeps a lot of crud out of your intake.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
Mollyfish
Replies
Views
Letsfish