Filter Media Order. Am I Doing Alright?

1. Iluvfishies

Iluvfishies Valued Member Member

hello, I have had a fluval 406 for a month or so, and I recently though I’d buy some stuff for it to add media. The order they had it in was like so
    0-Main Course Foam
    1-bio foam
    2-biomax
    3-carbon
    4-polish/carbon

I changed it a little bit to this:
    0-Main Course Foam
    1-bio foam
    2-polish pads(2 stacked on each other)
    3-biomax (actually filled the tray and not half way)
    4-polish/carbon

I didn’t change it to much but do you think that this will be alright? I only had enough T the moment to buy more biomax, and polish pads.

I just put it together and it’s running how I have it. Any thoughts? New to the canister filter stuff.

PS: I have 2 more biopads on the way in the mail. It’s all I could get at the moment, I just really didn’t think 2 trays full of carbon was really necessary (according to a lot of opinions) @TexasDomer

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

3. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Hi there! So with Fluval it's going from the bottom to the top. As long as your bio media is before anything that takes chemicals out of the water (like carbon), the order doesn't matter. On my 406 it goes, foam, polyfiber, matrix (like biomax), and then carbon.

4. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

I have that filter and I'm having problems with it not clearing the water in my 54g tank. I'm not sure if I don't have the stages packed tight enough and I'm getting blow by or what. I think it's not moving enough water is part of the problem. I also have lots of plants, but I've seen heavily planted tanks with crystal clear water. I'm heavily considering the marineland Magnum booster filter as an add-on for the tank.
    Your setup seems fine, you may have to clean the filter more frequently with fine polish pads.

5. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

Okay, so my order is alright?
    It’s the “wall” I like to call it that it goes through first (course)
    Then in my trays (bottom to top)
    1-bio foam
    2-double layer of polish pad
    3-full tray of biomax (came with less than half tray)
    4-thin layer of polish- then the carbon

6. AquaticJ

Yep, you're totally fine. If you're having problems with clarity I'd suggest using dye/color free polyester fiber instead of polish pads, along with seachem purigen in place of carbon.

7. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks good to me but i prefer purigen to carbon

8. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

Update: I have media bags and purigen on the way in the mail to replace the carbon. :)

9. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Its more than fine. I fill up all my HOBs and canisters with biorings or lava rock and nothing else. You just need a good place for BB to grow.

10. Rob Shannon

Rob Shannon New Member Member

So Purigen should go on top of (after) biomax?

11. AquaticJ

Correct!

12. KimAnnKitz

KimAnnKitz Valued Member Member

I am going off in a little different direction but still on the subject of media order -- my filter is just a HOB. I have been putting my Purigen on top of my sponges (in the bottom) and then biomax on the very top. Am I putting this in the HOB correctly? So order from bottom to top is: sponge, Purigen, biomax (ceramic media).

13. AquaticJ

14. KimAnnKitz

KimAnnKitz Valued Member Member

Wow! Thank you AquaticJ. I have been doing this wrong for 4 years!