Filter Media for Rena XP3

1. HitchHiker Member Member

For Christmas my wife got a me 65 gal. tank with a Rena XP3 filter. This is a used tank, but has been empty for a few months from what I can tell/been told. There is no documentation what so ever with the filter, and so my main question is what type of media should I use in each of the 3 levels. I plan on placing fresh water tropical fish in the tank. I don't think that I will be starting with live plants but that may be a possibility in the future depending on the fish that I put in the tank.

Right now I am still in the planning stages, and hope to set up the tank and begin to cycle it around the first of the year. So right now I am just making sure that I have all the equipment in good and proper working order.

Thanks for all the help, this site has been an amazing asset so far.

HH

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the site. If you choose not to use carbon, you can put a course media in the first tray, a pad of some sort in the middle, and biomax in the top. If your using carbon, then just a filter pad on the bottom, carbon in the middle, and biomax on top. You can get media specifically designed for your filter, or you can cut it yourself.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

hi, welcome to fl!

do you know if you want to use carbon? you have to be diligent about replacing it every 3 weeks, if you don't it will leak the bad stuff it removed into the tank. But it also helps keep the water more clear.

I have it in my filter now, but I am probably going to stop using it.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You know, I've been thinking about this whole "leaking bad stuff" idea. Leaving the carbon in too long is suppost to leak the bad stuff back into the tank. However, if you don't use carbon, then all that "bad stuff" is never taken out in the first place. So what harm can come, unless there are elements of the carbon itself that break down?

I've stopped using carbon in all of my tanks for a long time now and the only difference I've found is some extra money in my wallet.

5. HitchHiker Member Member

As far as if I am going to use carbon or I don't know... hehe guess another topic to research. I don't mind the maintenance as every 3 weeks is that bad, but if there isn't any real gain, or it is minimal and I can spend a bit more money on on fish sounds like I may not use the carbon.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

personally, i don't like having to open my filter up every three weeks. I'm going to try carbon-free and see how it works.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

hitch, have you considered what fish yet?

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Using carbon is just a personal preference. I don't use it currently, but I have in the past. After a couple weeks, it loses its effectiveness and just becomes more surface area for bacteria to colonize. It doesn't leech anything back into the water so no worries there. That's just another myth that companies and retailers use to get you to buy their products more often. ;)

9. HitchHiker Member Member

mommybaby295

I have been researching and am going to be go to my LFS tomorrow night to see what they have in stock and the research my options from there.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Good job doing it right.

11. GouramiGirl1221 Well Known Member Member

Rena makes media that fits wonderfully in their XP filters. I get mine at petsmart, but you can probably get it at any other chain store as well. I have 3 of the XP filters for my tanks and love them. Here's what I put in my XP3:

Bottom Basket:
    2 of the Foam30 pads on the bottom
    2 of the Foam20 pads on the top
    *I haven't changed these things in months...I always just clean them well when I do my filter maintenance and they're good as new.

Middle Basket:
    Biological media
    *This can be whatever you want, but personally I've had good luck with the ceramic rings

Top Basket:
    More biological media in the bottom half
    BioChem Zorb in the middle
    Micro Filtration Pad on the top
    *The biochem zorb is up to you as to weather you do or don't want to use carbon

Here's a link to the petsmart website:
    http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=rena&origkw=rena&sr=1

12. HitchHiker Member Member

Should the Biological Media fill the basket? I bought one package of the stars and it doesn't even cover the all the of the bottom let alone fill the just bottom half of the basket?

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please...
    Hitch, I think the more the better. I'd fill the basket as much as it will comfortably hold.

14. HitchHiker Member Member

Thats what I was thinking. I guess I will be making another trip to the store. At least I shouldn't have to replace this media ever.

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. :animal0068:I have moved your thread to the "freshwater tank equipment/filters and filtration" section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken