filter media for koi pond in aquarium?

Judi

can some of the media from an outdoor pond filter be used to help cycle an aquarium?

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Probably could, but I would be concerned about contaminants from outside. That doesn't have as much effect in a pond as in a smaller space like an aquarium.

OP
Judi

Judi

Eienna said:
Probably could, but I would be concerned about contaminants from outside. That doesn't have as much effect in a pond as in a smaller space like an aquarium.
Thanks Eienna, that's what I was concerned about but wasn't sure...I've had the koI pond for about 10 years and the fish are healthy but like you said the aquarium is a much smaller space.

I'm into day 24 of pwc's and still no sign of nitrites so I was hoping I could give the tank a bit of help.

OP
Judi

Judi

yes, I saw that recommended on some other posts so I am going to try it this weekend!

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Wait 24 hours after any water change before adding, shake well, use the whole bottle, and sit back for two weeks or until your liquid test reads 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, more than 0 nitrates. Do not change water until the two weeks is up unless it reads that, even if the numbers get pretty high (unless they're in obvious distress); there's a product in it that detoxes ammonia for that time so your fish will be safe. Just feed them lightly.

New Threads