Filter media completely dissolving

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by ClearEyes, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

So I have an HOB filter on my 20G, and my tank is fully cycled. Every month, I rinse the filter cartridge in tank water. Today, when I did, the cartridge started completely dissolving into the water!

I tried putting a new cartridge into my HOB behind the existing cartridge so it can catch some of the BB and get it going, but it's so tight that the new cartridge started tearing open as I did so, releasing even more filter media.

If I were to throw out my existing dissolving filter cartridge and put it a brand new cartridge, would dumping in a bottle of TSS prevent a new cycle? What is my best course of action here?

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Imo, I'd salvage what you can and then put a new cartridge inside what's left of your old one. Like, make the old one "sandwich" the new one. Just my personal opinion, I might be wrong, let's see what others say.

3. OP
    OP
    ClearEyes

That's the problem. There's no room. When I tried, the new one got torn apart while I was trying to jam it in with the old one.

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Cut the fabric apart on the old cartidge, just stuff that part in with the new. You don't really need the whole thing, only the outside part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    ClearEyes

But the fabric is the part that is falling apart and spewing fabric particles into my tank...

6. Bijou88

Stick it in a media bag or some new unwashed panty hose, that way you'll get the benefits of keeping the bacteria without making a mess.

7. OP
    OP
    ClearEyes

Gotcha, makes sense.

Should I drop in some TSS as well?

8. Bijou88

It may not be necessary, but it couldn't hurt imo.

9. OP
    OP
    ClearEyes

Also, the only reason I decided to mess with the filter today (it's not monthly filter-clean day yet), is that there was clearish-white sludge/slime on the output of my HOB into the tank. It didn't seem to be leeching into my tank, and my water parameters still measured 0/0/20, but I figured that sludge/slime wasn't a good thing, so I took out my entire HOB, including the plastic housing, and that's when I saw my filter cartridge falling apart. Any idea what that sludge/slime might have been?

10. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Is your filter a Aqueon? Does it have the " Bio Holster " /wet/dry feature?

11. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Yeah. What brand and model of filter is it?

Does it have a separate sponge-like bio-surface thingamajig? Or just the bag thing?

I'd be tempted to cut up the old bag and put some of the pieces inside the new filter bag. That will contain the shredding fibers.

You can just throw the carbon from the new bag away as needed to make room for the old filter bag pieces.

12. OP
    OP
    ClearEyes

It's an Aqueon HOB QuietFlow. No sponge-like thing, just a slot for the cartridge.

I did what Bijou88 suggested last night, and as of this morning, my water parameters still check out.

13. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

That's good news. If you put a sponge pre filter ( just retro fit a regular aquaclear sponge ) on your filter's intake, it will act as bio media.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice