5 Gallon Tank Filter media change

Hobbyist

In the pic below is my filter media, I have this since I bought the filter (30 March 2021), I just want to know if I should change it or I just leave it permanently, I also didn’t think its a good idea to rinse it

Attachments

• 5E661508-C67F-4D5F-85AF-0C32C01FB10E.jpeg
    5E661508-C67F-4D5F-85AF-0C32C01FB10E.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 20

BigManAquatics

Rinsing it when you do a water change in the old water is fine. Thats ususlly best.

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

Is there carbon in the middle? If so dump it out and just keep the floss. It will eventually start to fall apart and need to be replaced. To do so keep the old media and just add new on top of it. In the meantime occasionally rinsing in old tank water is all that is needed.

If you have room you can also add ceramic rings or pieces of sponge to increase surface area for BB.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Is there carbon in the middle? If so dump it out and just keep the floss. It will eventually start to fall apart and need to be replaced. To do so keep the old media and just add new on top of it. In the meantime occasionally rinsing in old tank water is all that is needed.

If you have room you can also add ceramic rings or pieces of sponge to increase surface area for BB.
Also to add, it is a lot easier to rinse it and get the crud off if the carbon is gone.

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Agree with all of the above. If you have room, I'd suggest phasing that cartridge out in favor of something like a sponge or even a bag of other media (something like seachem matrix). Those will be better in the long run.

Upvote 0

Hobbyist

I don’t think there’s carbon in there, because I didn’t see any when I opened the filter, I’ll add a photo of the filter so you could have a clear idea about how the filter looks like (the bottom side isn’t very clear because of the plants)

Attachments

• 1F47B2A6-BD51-4495-ACF1-27AAF9E6609F.jpeg
    1F47B2A6-BD51-4495-ACF1-27AAF9E6609F.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 65C43C41-03CE-49B7-BC3F-06D97D42C92F.jpeg
    65C43C41-03CE-49B7-BC3F-06D97D42C92F.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Just to clarify, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never heard of filter material that you aren't supposed to rinse. I believe you got some bad information. If it's a fairly new tank it is best to rinse it in water you've removed from the tank, but if the tank has a well established colony of beneficial bacteria you can rinse it under a faucet.

When you do replace the filter, or the filter media, don't throw out the old media. Leave it in the tank where it gets some flow over it for at least several weeks to give time for the bacteria to colonize the new media.

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

I don’t think there’s carbon in there, because I didn’t see any when I opened the filter, I’ll add a photo of the filter so you could have a clear idea about how the filter looks like (the bottom side isn’t very clear because of the plants)

If there is it would be inside the middle of the filter cartridge itself not the filter.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Shwiggy44
Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views
JeremyW