filter leaking

1. dano569 Member Member

i finally got the stand for my new 55.i put everything together i already had a penguin 350 i was gonna put on it got everything going and nothing was wrong that i could see.i had an aqua tech 330 that i got with my first 55 and decided what the heck i'll put it on there too and give me twice as much filtration.then i was looking around the tank and saw a little water on the background and felt the carpet below and it was wet. :eek: the first thing i thought was the tank might be leaking,but i decided to take the filter off and waited till this morning and nothing was wet so i was glad it wasn't the tank. ;D i also decided maybe i had just spilled some water getting everything together.i put the filter back on and saw more water,then i found a crack in the casing of it.i was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem?i also was gonna see if anyone thought i could seal it up or just buy another later?i don't know if aquarium sealer would work or not.

thanks everybody   ;D

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

If it's not too late, take this filter back to the store where you bought it. They should give you a new one. Another possibility is if this filter has a one year warranty, you could send it back to the manufacturer and they also should send you a new one. If you want to fix it yourself ... that I can't help you with, lol. But a crack doesn't sound good. You don't want to be sealing it with some glue that may be toxic to fish. Hmm, could you perhaps seal it with a silicone that is safe for aquaria? But this idea may be too weird lol. So wait for someone to tell you how to fix it :)

3. dano569 Member Member

it's too late to take it back to the store but i might could contact the manufacturer.it i can find some sealer i'll just do it myself.thanks for the suggestions. ;)

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Make sure the sealer is safe for fish and that it does a good job - you don't want the filter leaking again!

5. dano569 Member Member

i definitely will thanks 8)

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Try some aquarium grade silicon sealer. Worth a try ;)
    Carol

7. dano569 Member Member

i think that is what i'm gonna try ;).i know it will work if it will stick to plastic. :-\

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I think if you rough the plastic up a little on each side of the crach then kind of work the sealer in it might work.
    Carol

9. dano569 Member Member

it didn't work :mad: so i thought about melting the plastic to fill in the crack :'( [was not a good idea] :eek: at least i have some spare parts now :D

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry!!!! :-\ You know you wanted a new one anyway ;D j/k
    Carol

11. dano569 Member Member

you're right. ;) it was a cheap one,but it did ok.i'm probably gonna get another penguin 350 now ;D