filter leaking

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by dano569, Dec 10, 2005.

1. dano569Valued MemberMember

i finally got the stand for my new 55.i put everything together i already had a penguin 350 i was gonna put on it got everything going and nothing was wrong that i could see.i had an aqua tech 330 that i got with my first 55 and decided what the heck i'll put it on there too and give me twice as much filtration.then i was looking around the tank and saw a little water on the background and felt the carpet below and it was wet. :eek: the first thing i thought was the tank might be leaking,but i decided to take the filter off and waited till this morning and nothing was wet so i was glad it wasn't the tank. ;D i also decided maybe i had just spilled some water getting everything together.i put the filter back on and saw more water,then i found a crack in the casing of it.i was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem?i also was gonna see if anyone thought i could seal it up or just buy another later?i don't know if aquarium sealer would work or not.

thanks everybody   ;D

2. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

If it's not too late, take this filter back to the store where you bought it. They should give you a new one. Another possibility is if this filter has a one year warranty, you could send it back to the manufacturer and they also should send you a new one. If you want to fix it yourself ... that I can't help you with, lol. But a crack doesn't sound good. You don't want to be sealing it with some glue that may be toxic to fish. Hmm, could you perhaps seal it with a silicone that is safe for aquaria? But this idea may be too weird lol. So wait for someone to tell you how to fix it :)

3. OP
    OP
    d

dano569Valued MemberMember

it's too late to take it back to the store but i might could contact the manufacturer.it i can find some sealer i'll just do it myself.thanks for the suggestions. ;)

4. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Make sure the sealer is safe for fish and that it does a good job - you don't want the filter leaking again!

5. OP
    OP
    d

i definitely will thanks 8)

6. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Try some aquarium grade silicon sealer. Worth a try ;)
    Carol

7. OP
    OP
    d

i think that is what i'm gonna try ;).i know it will work if it will stick to plastic. :-\

8. Butterfly

I think if you rough the plastic up a little on each side of the crach then kind of work the sealer in it might work.
    Carol

9. OP
    OP
    d

it didn't work :mad: so i thought about melting the plastic to fill in the crack :'( [was not a good idea] :eek: at least i have some spare parts now :D

10. Butterfly

I'm so sorry!!!! :-\ You know you wanted a new one anyway ;D j/k
    Carol

11. OP
    OP
    d

you're right. ;) it was a cheap one,but it did ok.i'm probably gonna get another penguin 350 now ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice