Filter leaking

Stefonn.Papi

Today we wanted to move our ehiem professional 2 filter somewhere else under our fish tank and we turned it off last night and it started leaking,so we took it out and i was going to deal with it today, today i cleaned it out everything then adding it back into the fish tank it started leaking a lot, 5 gallons out of the fish tank later then we tried it again and it started leaking in little amounts in one part so we threw it out the garage, i have a Magnum 350 filter running in the fish tank in a 75 gallon fish tank in two days i’m running a protein skimmer in it any reason why it would start leaking?

Fishstery

Stefonn.Papi said:
Today we wanted to move our ehiem professional 2 filter somewhere else under our fish tank and we turned it off last night and it started leaking,so we took it out and i was going to deal with it today, today i cleaned it out everything then adding it back into the fish tank it started leaking a lot, 5 gallons out of the fish tank later then we tried it again and it started leaking in little amounts in one part so we threw it out the garage, i have a Magnum 350 filter running in the fish tank in a 75 gallon fish tank in two days i’m running a protein skimmer in it any reason why it would start leaking?
Most likely issue with canisters leaking are the connectors. Either cracked/bad or they aren't tightened properly OR overtightened

jpm995

Just a quick thought, i've had the 2260 eheim cannister and a eheim square cannister [forgot model]. First can you see where the waters coming from? My guess would be the top of the filter where the powerhead sits. Theres usually an o-ring or some type of seal on the powerhead that can get pinched when cleaning the filter. They can dry out also, vasoline helps them seal. Also check hose connections moving can loosen them. If the leak is not coming from the top [feel around the filter with your hand, where does the wetness start]? Check the canister for any hairline cracks as a last resort. Eheims are quality units i doubt one would crack.

Jesterrace

On a marine tank HOBs are better than Canisters in the long run. Less prone to leaking (salt is corrosive after all) and less prone to trapping the nasties. Sump is best, but for lighter Bioloads or smaller tanks HOB work great.

Stefonn.Papi

Jesterrace said:
On a marine tank HOBs are better than Canisters in the long run. Less prone to leaking (salt is corrosive after all) and less prone to trapping the nasties. Sump is best, but for lighter Bioloads or smaller tanks HOB work great.
we are throwing out the filter that was leaking not bothering to fix it, we figured that a Magnum 350 canister fitler and a protein skimmer and keep our fish tank clean. But we might invest in a HOBS
jpm995 said:
Just a quick thought, i've had the 2260 eheim cannister and a eheim square cannister [forgot model]. First can you see where the waters coming from? My guess would be the top of the filter where the powerhead sits. Theres usually an o-ring or some type of seal on the powerhead that can get pinched when cleaning the filter. They can dry out also, vasoline helps them seal. Also check hose connections moving can loosen them. If the leak is not coming from the top [feel around the filter with your hand, where does the wetness start]? Check the canister for any hairline cracks as a last resort. Eheims are quality units i doubt one would crack.
So the ehiem professional two, the leaking is from the top green part of the fitler, if you want i can send you a photo what part is leaking

jpm995

Sorry been offline for a few days. Pics may help, not really sure. Eheims are so expensive but there very high quality they don't break often. Is it under warranty? Maybe try calling eheim?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom