Filter Isn't Working As Good?

ch0507449

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a Marina s10 filter and I've noticed recently that my filter is acting as if it is clogged. I took it apart to make sure nothing was stuck in there (not that there should be anything TO be stuck) and I've narrowed it down to one of the replaceable cartridges.

When I remove one of the cartridges the flow returns to normal. I've tried rinsing and washing it out in old tank water, but it didn't seem to do anything. They are carbon filters, is there something special I need to do with it? Any help is appreciated.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cut it up, get rid of carbon, then get replacement cartrage, then add cut up cartrage to seed new one with benifical bacteria

ch0507449

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Take out the carbon, get a replacement and add the cut up part to the new cartridge. Sorry I've never seeded anything before.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What she's saying is that you should cut a hole in your existing cartilage to empty out the carbon that is in there. Put the cartridge back into the filter. Than what you should do is consider buying some extra media (like bio rings) and put those in a mesh bag and put that into the filter. In about a month you can remove the cartridge and you'll have easy flow after that.

A lot of people who have HOB filters don't use carbon cartridges due to clogging. Like mine I just pack my stuff with filters, sponges and whatever bacteria can get it's hands on.

ch0507449

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fashooga said:
What she's saying is that you should cut a hole in your existing cartilage to empty out the carbon that is in there. Put the cartridge back into the filter. Than what you should do is consider buying some extra media (like bio rings) and put those in a mesh bag and put that into the filter. In about a month you can remove the cartridge and you'll have easy flow after that.

A lot of people who have HOB filters don't use carbon cartridges due to clogging. Like mine I just pack my stuff with filters, sponges and whatever bacteria can get it's hands on.
Ooo I see now, thank you!

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ch0507449 said:
Take out the carbon, get a replacement and add the cut up part to the new cartridge. Sorry I've never seeded anything before.
Fashooga said:

Yes , well said thank you for explaing more effectively lol but that's a great tip to add your own media for sure. It's a must almost, unless you want to keep buying and seeding filter cartrage

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom