Filter intake

1. jglove276 Member Member

how far should the filter intake tube be from the bottom of the tank?

2. ssanubisss Member Member

I'm no expert or anything but i dont think it really matters.... that being said I like mine 2-3 inches from the bottom. I feel it helps produce better circulation but thats just my opinion. I'm sure ppl that know more than I do will be around to give you some opinions soon. :)

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello JGlove. I've had aquariums for many years and I've had my intake tubes all over the tank. Top, middle and bottom. I haven't found that one position is any better than the other. I'm sure where ever you decide to place it, it will do fine.
    Ken

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree it doesn't really matter with gravel tanks. However, with sand tanks, I've found it best to have it near the bottom and in the corner - more waste is picked up this way. Too close and it can suck up sand as fish swim by.

5. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Agreed with all the above. :D

6. DRock914 Member Member

The only thing I could think of why you would want a specific location is for when you do WCs. If you are keeping the filter on during WCs then I would recommend putting the intake a little below halfway up your tank. You want to avoid the filter being on and not being able to suck up any water.