Filter insert placement

1. I

Ilikepie New Member Member

Hello. I just got an ammonia remover insert for my Aqua clear 70g filter and it said on those instructions it needs to be the middle bag. but I'm not sure if it should go under the carbon or above it

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I would put it below the carbon. Why do you need an ammonia remover though? A cycled aquarium shouldn't have any ammonia at all.

I highly suggest you read up on the nitrogen cycle and take the necessary action to bring the ammonia down, which is usually dosing prime and doing water changes. Also, if the tank isn't cycled, you could pick up a bottle of Tetra Safe Start or Seachem Stability, both of which I have had success with.

I'm going to leave you with this link, one that you should read up on if you aren't already familiar with the details of the nitrogen cycle.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, you shouldn't need an ammonia removal pad. Use the extra space in your filter for more bio media if you really want something beneficial.

4. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

I don't want to start a new thread for a question that relates to this.....I use an ammonia bag also......
    I run 2 HOBS. Is it bad to use the ammonia bag if the tank is already cycled?
    I leave mine in the smaller HOB just incase/just because.

I have 26g bow with 2 live plants...1 angel, 3 neon tetra, 3 black fin tetra, 3 rosey tetra

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Always start a new thread when you're asking a question that is unique to you. You don't want to hijack someone else's thread.

And you shouldn't need it at all. If you had .25 ammonia due to overfeeding or adding new fish, water changes should do it.

6. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

LiterallyHydro ok thanks.

I'll start new thread next time....Def don't wanna be labeled as a hijacker haha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app