Filter In 10&20g Planted Tank?

Kylee

I recently decided to change my tanks over to planted tanks. I'm starting with my 10 and 20 gallon first just to see how hard/expensive it is. I've found all the info I need, and even have the plants picked out, but I'm having trouble finding answers on my filters.

The plants that I'm getting are: java moss, moss balls, moneywort, anubias barteri, and java fern. It's a beginner package on Amazon that has really great reviews for people starting their first planted tank.

The 10 has a single sponge filter because it used to house a betta, and is going to again once the plants have grown a bit.
The 20 has a fluval filter and a double sponge filter.
Once the plants are a decent size, do I need to take out one or both of my filters in the 20? And same with the 10.
I've read a lot of mixed answers and just want to see what works for everyone on here. Thanks

Bryangar

HI there,

That’s a nice assortment of easy growing plants. Once you get the hang of plants, you’ll want more, trust me

Unfortunately, most of those plant are slow growing. So you will still need a filter. Unless you plan to plant super heavily then you might not need one, still recommended though. You can remove one of the filters in your 20, to make more room, if you want.

Jocelyn Adelman

You should leave both filters in, plants will appreciate the current.

I wouldn’t recommend a filterless tank unles 90% of the substrate is covered, and 60% of tank space is filled entirely with plants. Even then I would likely suggest a filter for the movement alone.

Make sure you also get some root tabs and decent lighting.

Kylee

HI there,

That’s a nice assortment of easy growing plants. Once you get the hang of plants, you’ll want more, trust me

Unfortunately, most of those plant are slow growing. So you will still need a filter. Unless you plan to plant super heavily then you might not need one, still recommended though. You can remove one of the filters in your 20, to make more room, if you want.

Thank you! I have no problem with keeping a filter, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to overwhelm the plants.
I will have to look up fast growing beginner plants to fill in the gaps, I have no doubt I'll want more plants! Thanks for the info!

You should leave both filters in, plants will appreciate the current.

I wouldn’t recommend a filterless tank unles 90% of the substrate is covered, and 60% of tank space is filled entirely with plants. Even then I would likely suggest a filter for the movement alone.

Make sure you also get some root tabs and decent lighting.

Are root tabs necessary when you have soil as the substrate? I had to clean out my 10 gallon and can start from scratch so I'm going to have soil and then white sand on top for my spongebob theme lol.
As for my 20 gallon I was planning on using root tabs because I don't want to remove all the original substrate. Plus I've read the mulm in the substrate helps them grow. So I'm forcing myself to not vacuum for awhile as much as it pains me haha

Thank you for the info!

Bryangar

Are root tabs necessary when you have soil as the substrate? I had to clean out my 10 gallon and can start from scratch so I'm going to have soil and then white sand on top for my spongebob theme lol.
As for my 20 gallon I was planning on using root tabs because I don't want to remove all the original substrate. Plus I've read the mulm in the substrate helps them grow. So I'm forcing myself to not vacuum for awhile as much as it pains me haha

Thank you for the info!
No they aren’t, it does add more nutrients that the plants can take from. That's a cool idea. I’d like to see a picture of it when it’s all set up

You usually don’t have to gravel vac planted tanks as all the food and waste that builds up gets used.by the plants.

Jocelyn Adelman

Kylee no, with soil you will only need to add root tabs when the soil is exhausted.

Also, with your plant selection you don’t need it. I apologize, I read to quickly and was thinking an amazon sword vs ordering from amazon lol.
In fact, moss and rhizome plants don’t even need the soil...moneywort can also feed from the water column. Meaning, you could skip the soil and just use the sand for the plants you are getting. If you decide to add root feeders later on, you can always pop a root tab into the sand.

Kylee

No they aren’t, it does add more nutrients that the plants can take from. That's a cool idea. I’d like to see a picture of it when it’s all set up

You usually don’t have to gravel vac planted tanks as all the food and waste that builds up gets used.by the plants.

Thank you!! I definitely will! I'm saving up so I can do both tanks at once, so it'll be a bit.
I've read that about vacuuming, I'm very happy about that!!

Jocelyn Adelman
Thank you for letting me know!! So I don't even have to put root tabs in my gravel tanks? Nice!! I'm going to add black sand on top just for the looks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LanceDog
Replies
Views
Fishstuff
Replies
Views
Jessica J
  • Question
Replies