Filter Ideas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by seth rodgers, Apr 19, 2018.

1. seth rodgers

seth rodgersValued MemberMember

Hello,
    I bought the Aqueon quietflow 20 for a used tank i got which come to find out it is actually 25 gal... So my question is, is it ok to use that filter? it says it is good for up to 30.
    Thanks

2. Tony M

Tony MValued MemberMember

Probably fine but don’t skimp on weekly water changes, and clean filter when the flow seems to slow down.

3. Sanderguy777

Sanderguy777Valued MemberMember

I should be fine if:
    1. You don't replace the filter every 2 minutes like they say. Just rinse it every week with tank water.
    2. And watch the aquarium co-op video on souping up your filter. Adding an intake sponge and maybe a few inches of floss inside, should make it work really nice.

4. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Thanks, also stupid question but can i clean out my filter instead of buying new cartridges?

5. pugletfanWell Known MemberMember

Only replace your cartridge if it is literally falling apart. The beneficial bacteria (bb) live in your filter media, keeping your aquarium healthy and cycled. If you replace your cartridge, you are throwing away your bb. If you do need to replace your cartridge, remove the media from the plastic cartridge and stuff it in your filter behind your new cartridge. Leave it there for a month. This will give the bb time to become established on the new cartridge.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

6. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

I do i am actually very familiar with it and i knew rhat removing the filter would take away my bacteria but it said to replace the filter cartridge once a month

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice