Filter Help

Cole1280

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i have a new fish tank that has a over flow. I don’t about sumps. It’s about 136g and it 112 inches from one end to the overflow and 29 high and 10 inches front to back. I was wondering what I what kind of sump. Or if I should get something else instead of a sump. For freshwater

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have a new fish tank that has a over flow. I don’t about sumps. It’s about 136g and it 112 inches from one end to the overflow and 29 high and 10 inches front to back. I was wondering what I what kind of sump. Or if I should get something else instead of a sump. For freshwater
I primarily use trickle towers. I have some pretty good sized tanks and i have a good fluid system circulation ratio. You can build them very inexpensively as well.

OP
C

Cole1280

Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is a cool acrylic tank!

Start doing your homework on sumps. YouTube has a ton of videos.

At most, you may have to install some new fittings on your overflow.

Do go cheap on the pump.

I'd recommend getting a DC variable flow rate pump. They use less electricity and the adjustable flow is useful.

Take a look at Jebao and Current adjustable flow DC pumps.

If there is a Petco nearby, wait for their $1/gallon sales and pick up a 29g tank for $29 for your sump.

OP
C

Cole1280

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cool my other problem is my stand Is 10 inches i don’t know where I would put it

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You need a taller stand than 10". Also if you are at 130 gallons you will want more than a 29 gallon sump. Pumpwise you want to look at danner. They have a wide range and they are priced well.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, a 29g wouldnt be optimal, but based on the depth of the tank, I figured a 12" deep tank would work best to fit under, versus an 18" 40gal breeder for example.

I didnt know he already had a stand though with only 10"

@Cole1280 , is the stand wood or metal?

If it is wood, can the back panel and the base be modified to fit a 12" deep glass tank for a sump?

29g, 37g and 55g glass tanks are 12" deep.

Even if you went with a smaller than optimal sump, the tank can be filtered in conjunction with a canister.

The Eshoppes sump looks like it's set up for a saltwater tank. The large open reservoir appears to be for a skimmer.

For less than the price of that sump without a pump, you could buy: a quality pump, glass tank for sump, acrylic or glass cut to size for baffles, silicone caulk and your mechanical and biological filtration.

For simplicity, you can use a minimum amount of baffles and install vertical sheets of progressively thicker Poret foam.

Poret can be found here.

Vertical layers of 10ppi, 20ppi then 30ppi foam sheets would work great. The water could pour over into a baffle into you fine floss media. If one of the chambers were large enough at the end, you would gave room for a Dr. Novak style anoxic filter basket. Novak has some videos on YouTube showing how they work and their ability to process nitrates.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gotcha.

You may have to build a wooden framed stand so you can fit everything you want inside of it.

A stand for tank your size can be easily made of 2x4's, sheathed with furniture/cabinet grade plywood and detailed with trim.

Finish it off with a few coats of a good stain or paint to match the room and decor.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think that would work just fine. As long as the drain from the overflow does have slack in the line and the correct pump is selected to overcome the head pressure and increase of hose length for the return line, I dont see why that is a problem.

I've seen people have a tank on the main floor of their home and their sump is in the basement or in the next room behind the wall the main tank is on.

Moving the sump to the side is a viable solution.

That would also open up many more possibilities for sump design, because sump dimensions will not be dependent on the tank stand.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom