Filter Help!

believefate7

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 50g long that I'm working on getting set up. I want sand for substrate and live plants. What filter will work best for the sand substrate? There are way too many filtration systems and I'm so lost! I don't have the money right now for an expensive system but I definitely want something decent in the mean time. Also with live plants in sand substrate do you really put soil under it? What kind? Thanks so much!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can either do soil under sand or just use sand and use root tabs for nutrients in the sand. On my 55's i have aquaclear 70's but i wish i would of gotten aq 110's for which is what i have on my 75.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I only run sand in only one of my planted tanks, and use a Fluval-Aquaclear 50. In a couple other planted tanks, have sponge filters, which are the best IMO. Although do try and be careful and diligent, as fine sand can sometimes be a bit too dense for rooted plants to penetrate sufficiently.

believefate7

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
david1978 said:
You can either do soil under sand or just use sand and use root tabs for nutrients in the sand. On my 55's i have aquaclear 70's but i wish i would of gotten aq 110's for which is what i have on my 75.
Do you have a preference on brands for root tabs? Thank you so much for all the advice!

believefate7

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
I only run sand in only one of my planted tanks, and use a Fluval-Aquaclear 50. In a couple other planted tanks, have sponge filters, which are the best IMO. Although do try and be careful and diligent, as fine sand can sometimes be a bit too dense for rooted plants to penetrate sufficiently.
I'm going to be using Black Diamond Medium Blasting Abrasives... I've read on here it's a great substrate! What brand of filter do you use/prefer. I'm needing specific advice because it's so overwhelming just searching for a "type". Thank you!!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As far as which root tabs are best i really dont know but as long as you stay with the bigger brands you will be fine. Im sure some people on here have their preferred brand i buy whatever brands on sale. Lol

believefate7

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
david1978 said:
As far as which root tabs are best i really dont know but as long as you stay with the bigger brands you will be fine. Im sure some people on here have their preferred brand i buy whatever brands on sale. Lol
Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom