Filter help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rocky007Ninja, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Rocky007Ninja

Rocky007Ninja New Member Member

So I've had my aquarium up and running for about a month and a half or so. I've had the same filters in my aqueon 75 since I started to build bbs up. Should I replace one and keep one in cuz it has 2 large filters in it. Or both or none?

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You don't need to replace them until they're falling apart. Once you reach the point they're starting to fall apart you can replace them but put the old ones in some empty space with the new ones. If there's no space then replace one at a time to allow a new one to gather bacteria.

3. OP
    OP
    Rocky007Ninja

Rocky007Ninja New Member Member

Great that makes sense. I rinse them off every other week in tank water they get pretty nasty looking. Thanks for the help cody

4. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

Then you are fine. Up until last week I hadn't' replaced mine for like 2 or 3 months. Only reason I replaced mine was to get the carbon to filter out melafix... and even then I cut one side of the filter floss off and taped it to the new one. I would replace before they are actually falling apart... but not much before. Mainly so you can have a piece of the filter floss with BB on it to put in with your next cartridge

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice