Filter help!

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by AlanGreene, Dec 6, 2012.

1. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Hey guys!

I am upgrading to a 240L (63Gallon) tank and I am going to get an external filter and after some research I think I have found a good one at a decent price.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EHEIM-2213-C...3?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item35af87eb0f

I live in Ireland and this is the best price I could find as the prices here are terrible!!. Could you please tell me if this is a good filter and at a good price?

Thanks all :)

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    A

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply, a good few reviews say it is simple but effective, the filter does not always come with taps or media but this one does that's why I was drawn to it.

May I ask what taps are? :) This will be my first external filter!

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I've never used that filter either but a "tap" in generally a valve of some sort used to refer to anything from a kitchen faucet to a hose bibb. In this case I believe they are referring to the isolation valves used for servicing the filter though I didn't see any reference to them in the text.

5. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

I've seen a lot of people swear by the Eheim Classic. But You may need to step up to a bigger filter as the 2213 is a bit small for your tank. I would go for the 2217...IDK, maybe the Eheim Classic requires less flow to be effective.

Model # Aquarium Size (approx).....Pump Output (approx)
    2211 40 gal (151 L).....................60 gph (227 lph)
    2213 66 gal (250 L).....................116 gph (440 lph)
    2215 92 gal (350 L).....................164 gph (620 lph)
    2217 160 gal (600 L)...................264 gph (1000 lph)
    2262 396 gal (1500 L)..................900 gph (3400 lph)

6. OP
    OP
    A

Hehe Matt I know what a tap is! I meant in relation to an external filter!! Thanks for the explanation of the isolation valves that's what I was looking for, how is your tree doing? did you find a solution?

Hi JRC3,

Thanks for the reply, It's all so expensive!! I think I will save up and get the 2217, I am going to have cardinals in the tank, do you think it would blow them around or would it be okay? At the moment I have a filter doing 300L an hour in my 100L tank and they are fine so I think they are strong swimmers!

7. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

I have 10 cardinals in my 75g (300L) community tank and it have a Fluval 403 and a 404 on it. One filter outputs through a spray bar and the other goes through the normal output diffuser. I've run a 404 on a 46g (174L) with bumblebee gobies and the flow was just right. I think you'll be OK with the cardinals.

Fluval 403 Filter: 317 GPH (1200 LPH)
    Fluval 404 Filter: 340 GPH, (1300 LPH)

It is expensive for sure. Here in the States we have an online classified called Craigslist and they have local listings. I've bought setups that came with my canisters and picked everything up for about 1/5 new price. I wasn't in a hurry and waited for the right deals to come along. I do see single canister filters on there sometimes. Do you guys have an online classified like that? If so it might be worth checking.

8. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi,
    How heavily you stock the tank will determine which filter you should look at. The general rule of thumb (with canisters) is approx 5x turnover for a lightly stocked tank, 6-7 for a moderately stocked tank, and 8+ for a heavily stocked tank.

If it were me, I'd be considering 2 x 2215 or 2 x 2217 on that tank (depending on stocking) or look to the Pro series. They are more expensive, but they work! (I run a Pro 2222 on my FW)

9. OP
    OP
    A

Hi Ryanr,

Thank you both for your input

I was hoping to stock with:

4 discus
    25 Cardinals
    8 cory sterbai
    10 amano shrimp

I definitely cannot afford two filters at the moment... I will have to get once for now and get another one in a few months, I don't want the water at one end of the tank to get stagnant..

Would the 2217 do for the moment? Are the filters hard to set up and run? They look a whole lot more complex than my internal filter!!

Also I don't know if this makes a difference or helps with water purification of the water but I am hoping to plant 1/2 of the tank with dwarf hair grass

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  10. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Discus you say...

Hmmm, the most I know about discus, they need pristine water conditions, and do best in groups of 6 or more. I also believe the do better in lower flow environments, many just use sponge filters.

I would suggest trying to contact Disc61 or Slug - they would be two of most experienced Discus keepers on Fishlore.
    Here's some of their Discus projects

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/disc61/116903-new-discus-project-new-post.html
    And Slug's blog: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/slug/

I don't want to lead you down the wrong path with Discus, so best I don't assume.

11. OP
    OP
    A

I do water changes twice a week at the moment and plan on keeping it up if not every second day with discus, I have a discus right now he is very small in my 25g tank, I got this new tank for him and to get him some friends, they will be the biggest fish in my tank and I will have hiding places so I hope that will make them comfortable, The discus I have now has become very colorful since I introduced him in to my water, he is relaxed and swims regularly and eats well. Maybe if I got just 2 discus in my 63g tank? I know they do get quite large.

12. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks for the help by the way guys I appreciate any and all advice! I want my fish to be healthy and happy for many years till they grow old and complain to their fry that the water in their day was much better and they had to swim 3 feet in the nitrate to get to work haha! (disclaimer: my tank has 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5-10ppm nitrate :))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice