Filter/heater?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by someperson, Aug 22, 2019.

1. someperson

somepersonNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    4 years
    Hey everyone I have a few questions about Betta care. I have kept a few in the past but didn't do enough research and just took advice from a pet store employee so they didn't last too long :( This time around I have done lots of research and am still doing more everyday. I haven't gotten a Betta yet again but I would love another chance with one.

So the first question is, do I need a heater? The house is kept at about 80 degrees or as low as 76 during the day and then it drops to 73 at night at the lowest.

Second question is what kind of filter? I'm not sure on what size tank I want yet. I'd love to get a 10 gallon, but I don't have a ton of room downstairs for one (which is where I would keep it). I would put it in my room but I have pets rats and I don't know if that's a good idea. Anyways, what GPH would I go for? 5x, 10x the tank size?

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,079
    Experience:
    2 years
    An ideal betta tank is a 5 gallon with a 50 watt heater and a cycled sponge filter with whatever you like as your substrate. If i were to do a betta tank it would be pool filter sand live plants a corner sponge filter an aqueon pro 50W heater and a nicrew plant light. probably cost you about 100 maybe a little more depending on the betta you get. and the same would go if i did a betta in a 10... but then i would add a couple nerites once the tank is well established and a school of nano fish probably embers... their fun to watch especially when they bicker with each other :)
    Edit: now i wanna set up a betta tank but i already have a lot on my plate so ill have to pass for now ;)

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You'd need to know the temps of water during those air temps. Typically water temperature is a few degrees cooler than air temperature. You'd be fine during the day probably but the lowest temperature might be an issue. I think you're best off getting a heater to avoid such temperature changes in your aquarium. Also, the location of the tank matters as well. Some parts of my bedroom are warmer or cooler than others and my tank water reflects that. I currently have a heater for two betta tanks but not one for my baby betta or my Mollies and platies.

The type of filter doesn't really matter too much for bettas as long as the flow isn't too strong. Some are adjustable. I use box filters because I can run several on one large air pump (or one on one smaller air pump) and fill them with ceramic rings and filter floss, both of which I can rinse or just replace the floss in a few weeks.
    Sponge filters are also good for bettas.

4. OP
    OP
    someperson

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thanks a ton, I will definitely get a heater in that case.

5. OP
    OP
    someperson

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thank you for the info! I think it would look really nice with black sand if I did go with non-gravel. I'll have to look into sponge filters more since I don't know too much about them lol

6. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,079
    Experience:
    2 years
    Sp
    onge filters are simple. Get the sponge filter of your choice and a decent air pump and a roll of airline tubing connect it to the sponge and plug in the air pump and it will soon be filtering the water for u... it’s good to set them up in an established tank and let em run for a month or so then when you need to cycle a new tank simply drop the sponge filter in and check your parameters and you should have an instant cycle

7. OP
    OP
    someperson

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    4 years
    Wow that's amazing, they definitely sound simple I think I have an air pump stored away somewhere.