Filter Gimmick ?

Reema

Valued Member
Messages
93
Reaction score
48
Points
63
Experience
Just started
I'm running a 10 gl tank with a Aqueon Quiet Flow filter. It comes with a red light which supposedly flashes red when it's time to change the filter. Problem is that the **** light started flashing after about 3 weeks of the cartridge being inserted. I rinsed the cartridge and put it back. Still flashing. So I gave in and changed it, but not before I let the new cartridge being seeded by the old one. That was 3 days ago. I might have even crashed my cycle by changing the cartridge but what's done is done.
Now 3 days later, with the new cartridge the light starts flashing again. I mean come on...what is going on ? Is that a legit warning or a gimmick to make people buy cartridges often?
 

Attachments

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Messages
1,691
Reaction score
598
Points
128
Experience
2 years
Sounds a little gimmicky to me. I have heard of this filter before, but can't think why it would be needing a cartridge change when other filters go for months (if not longer) without their filters being changed. Maybe someone else who uses this type of filter would be able to shed more light on this...
 

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Messages
1,731
Reaction score
1,008
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
Reema said:
I'm running a 10 gl tank with a Aqueon Quiet Flow filter. It comes with a red light which supposedly flashes red when it's time to change the filter. Problem is that the light started flashing after about 3 weeks of the cartridge being inserted. I rinsed the cartridge and put it back. Still flashing. So I gave in and changed it, but not before I let the new cartridge being seeded by the old one. That was 3 days ago. I might have even crashed my cycle by changing the cartridge but what's done is done.
Now 3 days later, with the new cartridge the light starts flashing again. I mean come on...what is going on ? Is that a legit warning or a gimmick to make people buy cartridges often?
As always I will be completely straightforward on these cartridge filters. They are a gimmick to sell cartridges. It's just like with a mach3 razor. What you need to do is put diffrent media in the media bay of your filter and get away from the cartridge. This does two things
1. You have better filtration because carbon doesn't do what the aquarium industry wants you to think.
2. You will save alot of money over time
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,334
Reaction score
8,144
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I would break the light or put black electrical tape over it. I think it is a gimmick. You aren't the only one this has happened to.

I suspect the bean counters thought this would be a brilliant idea to help sell more filter cartridges. They don't care that ones tank might crash as long as their bottom line goes up.

edited to add: or do like @NavyChief20 suggested and replace those cartridges with reusable media and stop buying cartridges all together. That is what I did. (but I would still break or cover that blasted blinking light)
 

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Messages
1,731
Reaction score
1,008
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
Chillin said:
i have the same filter but after a month or so it still has not come on lol
Clearly your light is defective. What ever you do dont inform the company, they will send you a new one that has a light that comes on within a week. Lol
 

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Messages
659
Reaction score
1,118
Points
83
Experience
5 years
Suggestion:
Make your own filter media.
Deep-six the filter cartridges and get you some quilt batting. It does a much better job.
I use it in my Aqueon.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Reema

Valued Member
Messages
93
Reaction score
48
Points
63
Experience
Just started
NavyChief20 said:
As always I will be completely straightforward on these cartridge filters. They are a gimmick to sell cartridges. It's just like with a mach3 razor. What you need to do is put diffrent media in the media bay of your filter and get away from the cartridge. This does two things
1. You have better filtration because carbon doesn't do what the aquarium industry wants you to think.
2. You will save alot of money over time
Any suggestions as to what to use instead of the cartridges ? Someone here mentioned quilt batting.
 

Cardeater

Valued Member
Messages
394
Reaction score
137
Points
78
Experience
More than 10 years
Like others said, hotrod the filter. I always post this video when these types of topics come up. I would've saved a lot of money over the years and kept my beneficial bacteria more stable had I seen this earlier:

 

NYFishGuy

Well Known Member
Messages
503
Reaction score
263
Points
53
Experience
1 year
I recently bought a sponge replacement 3 pack for a AC70 filter with the intentions of cutting and using as intake prefilters.
Worked way better than expected. cut a X shape in top after cutting to size and inserted tip of intake into it. Holds tight as well.
Bought a 5 gallon kit today that came with a topfin 10 filter that has those cartridges and the left over half of the first sponge i used fits pretty good.
I also bought some of the ceramic rings to add to bags on top of the sponge filters as i have extra room not using the carbon.
 

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Messages
2,682
Reaction score
1,849
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
100% gimmick. Its the industries way of getting new and inexperienced fish keepers to spend money on not only filters but also medications for sick fish, water treatments for when your ammonia is high after you change the cartridge, etc. Its a HUGE gimmick all the way around.

Buy a decent filter and keep good media in it and youll never have an issue.
 

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Messages
903
Reaction score
683
Points
178
Experience
More than 10 years
The light comes on when the flow gets too slow through the media and the water level gets backed up too high in the filter.

I never put my light in, it came bagged separately. I also use my own media. The filter is the same design as the one I'd been using the past few years, they did not change anything.

IF you are concerned about advertised GPH flowrate through the media, that little light will let you know when you are running too slow or if the water is just bypassing the media altogether!
 

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
276
Points
63
Experience
Just started
i disconnectd and threw away the light in mine. lol no more worries. but just watch the water floww and that will be like your light as to when it needs a tank water rinse
 

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Messages
1,731
Reaction score
1,008
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
Reema said:
Any suggestions as to what to use instead of the cartridges ? Someone here mentioned quilt batting.
Use lava rock or ceramic media in bags and an aquarium sponge. For sump media use lava rock ceramic media legs polyfil batting and bioballs or potscrubbies
 

Jmccartney

New Member
Messages
48
Reaction score
16
Points
43
Experience
5 years
I ditched the carbon cartridges right away and stuffed a bunch of API brand 30PPI sponges into the media space. I’m planning to ditch this filter all together in the near future and purchase one a little more powerful. When I finally do, I’ll have all kinds of sponge loaded with B.B. to put in my new filter!
 

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Messages
1,731
Reaction score
1,008
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
Jmccartney said:
I ditched the carbon cartridges right away and stuffed a bunch of API brand 30PPI sponges into the media space. I’m planning to ditch this filter all together in the near future and purchase one a little more powerful. When I finally do, I’ll have all kinds of sponge loaded with B.B. to put in my new filter!
Good move. Before you shift over get a cycle on some lava rock. Its 10 bucks at home depot or lowes or a real hardware store. Trust me you will look back and laugh all the way to the bank after cutting the cord from those stupid cartridges
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom