Filter Gets Insanely Dirty, How To Prevent? Question 

ethantobey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My AquaClear 70 gets insanely dirty with this brown algae-like substance that clogs the intake, gets all over the media and the output. I dont think its algae because it only builds up in the filter. I know a small amount might be normal but it builds up very fast and is an eyesore. What is this stuff in my filter and how do I prevent it?

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
brown stuff like this?
full.jpg

ethantobey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
brown stuff like this?
full.jpg
Exactly, gets on EVERY part of the filter though. How often do you clean your filter?

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ethantobey said:
Exactly, gets on EVERY part of the filter though. How often do you clean your filter?
I clean my HOB filters every week during my weekly water changes. my canister gets cleaned every 4 weeks.

I believe PondGuru calls it "muck" basically fish poop, uneaten food, detritus, decaying matter, etc.

fishfoodlady

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you vacuuming the tank weekly, along with filter cleanings? Also, overfeeding can quickly dirty a tank and filter. Uneaten fish food and excessive poop turns to sludge. Is your tank overstocked?

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mine get like that, I clean my filter every three w/c or if starts to clog up which doesn't happen very often, but i also do a good vac. every w/c.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as the brown muck isn't significantly slowing the water flow, I'd leave it alone. That's food for the beneficial bacteria. Nature isn't always pretty. Like suggested above, you might also want to cut back on the food. Most fish don't need all that much.

qldmick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
get a bigger filter or start feeding new life spectrum probiotix, I have significantly less waste in my filter using it.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is substrate dirt?

Tank size and how is it stocked?

Type(s) and brand of food, and how many times a day do you feed?

Possibly a sponge pre-filter attached to intake tube may help. It will catch the large muck before it enters the filter.

Here are pics of some of mine. They are ATI Filter Max III's I buy online from Ken's Fish. Jehmco, Aquacave and Amazon have them as well. A LFS might have them.

CHJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm with Islandvic.
Prefilter. Nice muck catcher and bacterial home, so easy to pop off and clean. Bonus: it keeps sand and such out of your filter motor. Extra bonus: filter can't eat fry. Not enough bonuses? Call now and receive "great standby source of bacteria for starting new filters"!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom