Filter gave out this AM... Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by JennDFK, Mar 30, 2010.

1. JennDFK

JennDFK Valued Member Member

We have a 29 gallon hex tank with an Aquaclear 50 filter. This morning I was walking by the tank and I knocked the plug out of the wall. Before plugging it in I went and got a glass to prime it (one if the aquaclears biggest shortcomings is it's inability to prime itself even when it has only been off for a second.) When I tried to get it restarted I got nothing. I took it apart and couldn't find any blockages. The motor was still slightly warm so I know that it was running recently. I now have the filter media in the tank and there is a bubbler running for airation.

My husband said it was working this AM at 7 when he left so something must have happened when it came unplugged. I'm certain I didn't run it dry. Any suggestions what I might do??? I can go and buy another filter if neccessary...The problem is I'm not terribly happy with the Aquaclear anyway (due to it's difficulty priming and the fear of a power outage when I'm not home to prime it) but I'm limited by the proportions of the hex tank on what type of filter will fit.

Jenn

Any suggestions on what to do... and what type of filter to buy if I can't fix it?
    BTW I have two other tanks in the house a 20 gallon and a 55 gallon.

Jenn

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Flush the impeller really well then fill with water plug it up see if it is running. sometimes the impellers can get clogged and they don't want to start back up. I don't have any problem with my Aquaclear starting back up by it's self. see if you can make the uptake tube longer since that's a taller tank.
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    JennDFK

We doubled the length of the intake tube for the hex...

I will try to flush the impeller and see what happens.

We have always had problems with the filter restarting. It always worries me when we go out of town. Power outages are not common here... but they do happen often enough.

Jenn

4. OP
    OP
    JennDFK

Right after posting this I got it working. Flushing the filter itself didn't work... but taking the impeller apart and rinsing it in tank water did the trick. Thanks Carol!

Jenn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice