Filter For Planted Tanks?

taylormarie213

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have the Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 that came with my 10gal tank. The filter has carbon in the bags you put in it but I heard that carbon is bad for planted tanks.

Anything tips or recommendations?
I don’t want my plants to be stripped of its minerals and nutrients in the water but I want my fish to be healthy too.

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello
Filter has noting to do with minerals you have to provide nutrients for you plants on your own such Fertilizer or root tabs and all will be depend what plants you have...as well how you planning to maintenance tank as well..

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unless you're trying to remove something specific you can just remove the carbon, such as by cutting the mesh and taking it out, and then putting it back in the filter. (If you want, you can get more creative here and add even more filter mesh. It's pretty hard to over filter! This is the best guide I have on hand, but parts might go over your head. I know they go over mine! Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters)

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@taylormarie213 , i would suggest taking a look at the link that @aoiumi provided.

It will show you how to not rely on disposable cartridges, and instead put reusable media in the filter.

Carbon is not required and 100% optional.

I have used Seachem's Flourish root tabs in my planted tank that has sand. I have basic anubia and swords, nothing fancy. They started doing better after I used the root tabs as fertilizer.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom