filter for my new 125 gallon

65gallon
I am picking up a 125 gallon freshwater tank this weekend which currently is running 2 aquaclear 110s. my question is will that be enough from my 2 oscars and 2 Jds. I know they are messy and I have been looking at the rena xp4. does anyone have any experience with the rena filters? or any reccomendations? what is everyone using on their 100+ gallon tanks?

Taku
on my 150 I have 3 55 gallon hang on UGF and 2 75 submersibles with powerhead.

pepetj
65gallon: Congratulations! Good for you! A big tank is definetely a whole different story. I have three AquaClear 110 in a -just fishless-cycled and in its 2nd day- 145gal Oscars Tank (2 Os, 2 Severums) and I'm considering adding a fourth.

I suggest you go with three, or combine with other types of filtering as Taku does, since you would need a minimun of 1250 gph, and each AquaClear 110 drives 500gph. It's better to be on the safe side, specially with messy fish like Oscars -They are an absolute beauty, but by far the messiest fish I've kept -including big size Goldfish I kept in a pond long time ago.

Hope you share your pics with us! How old/big are your Os and JDs?

Pepe
Santo Domingo

COBettaCouple
Maybe a total of 15-20 gph per gallon would be good for the tank?

65gallon
the tank is actually coming with a 10 inch tiger ocsar and a 7 inch JD. I have in my 55 gallon 2 o's at about 6 to 7 inches and a JD about 4 to 5 inches. I will post pics as soon as my fishies get comfy and the tank is all setup. I am excited about getting the tank but I am not looking forward to picking up such a big tank!!!!!

Does anyone have any experience with the Rena XP4?

sylvia0225
I would go with a canister have a 70 gal planted with a 404 and 405

65gallon
I was thinking about using 1 acquaclear 110 and 1 rena xp4? any comments or reccomendations would be appreciated.

pepetj
The Rena Filstar XP4 will give you 450gph, despite its ad states 265gal tank, its the gph that matters, especially with Oscar fish. Two AquaClear 110 and a Rena XP4 will make it for you (in all 1450gph, considering efficiency of 1.0) That would do the work for you.

Since you are into Oscar fishkeeping, try this UK site, Oscar Fish, very nice place, I feel as comfortable as in fishlore, very decent persons around.

Pepe
Santo Domingo

65gallon
what if I were to use 2 magnum 350 pro's and one aquaclear 110? I only want to use one of the 110s because I hate the big plastic tube in my background. I would like to spend around 200 bucks and want to get the best filtration for that price.

the 350 pros are rated at 350gph each and are on sale for 90 bucks a set

65gallon
another question...

aquaclear 110 is rated at 500gph and magnum 350 pro is rated at 350gph.

Would that make the aquaclear 110 the better filtration source? they both say they are for up to 100 gallons so wouldnt that make them equal?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies
Views
Mifuluhu
Replies
Views
Bryan Oestreich
Replies