Filter For Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FishFish221, Apr 13, 2017.

1. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What filter should I get for my Platy fry. The current Aquaclear 20 is too strong has already sucked my fry three times into it (thankfully no injuries or damage). I can't use a sponge filter or any filter that requires an air pump because the air pump is far about 15 metres away.
    The aquarium is 5 gallons and currently houses 4 fry.

Any suggestions on brands/types of filters?

2. n

neongirl Valued Member Member

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Firstly, there are sponge filter that don't need an air pump per say, there are usually separate piece that LFS sell that you can slip over the intake. This prevent the suction into into the intake but sometimes doesn't always decrease how much is being intaked (if that makes sense)
    Another method that I like the to use, especially for my Betta, is that if you are able to to, you can actually remove the intake tube (my AQ does this) which leaves you the direct hole of where water goes into. I bought an algae scraper sponge (basic, like $2) and cut off a portion to cover the hole as well as cutting off the green scrubby part. Then just just allow the suction of the filter to keep it in place. I find this dramatically decreases the intake, slowing down the water flow and helps the bad swimmers (like long-finned betta and babies) out. You will have to squeeze out the gunk on/in the sponge once in a while, but it's worth it! (If you need a pic of the set-up, I can attatch a pic...I'm not the best with words :p)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

4. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with above, I think they mean to say a pre-filter sponge.
    Amazon.com: prefilter sponge

5. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Sponge Filters are great for fry. :)

6. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks for clarifying me! (Lol). Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice