Filter For Container Pond

1. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I have a 40 gallon stock tub set up on my balcony with a hardy water lily, elephant ear plant, floating water hyacinth, and some plant cuttings from my indoor tanks.
    Unfortunately, I don't have an outlet outside and no way to get one out there.
    I plan to breed celestial pearl danios or white cloud minnows out there next year.
    Is there anything I can do or can I just leave it. I plan to put more underwater plants when I actually put fish in there. (Basically the Walstad Method)

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Look up "still ponds". Basically, it's a plant filtered pond. Use hornwort and anacharis, generous quanities of both, and then top plant with floaters. Accent with a marginal like a canna or calla lily for height and color.

3. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

With your floating plants you don't need a filter, especially if you take CPDs, they prefer minimal current anyway.
    Especially water hyacinths are used for waste water facilities :)

4. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I use a large sponge filter and a ton of floating plants in my container ponds. First year with ponds but it seems to work very well and it's inexpensive

5. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Yeah, a sponge filter would have been my go to but I have no electrical outlet
    Right now, I have:
    1 elephant ear plant (marginal)
    1 hardy water lily
    2 water hyacinth (floating)

I'll eventually add my rotala clippings from my indoor tanks when it's time for another trim.
    I'll most likely add some Amazon sword from my lfs and leave them in their little pots since it's a bare bottom tub

Thanks for the replies!

6. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I was hoping you could run an airline out there somehow.

7. Secret Oasis Member Member

water hyacinth will also multipy, so you might have more than 2 next year :p im jealous though, water hyacinth is illegal in my state. I do agree with a sponge filter if you can run a airline out there. since you arnt adding fish till next year are you monitoring water temps to make sure the water isnt getting to warm?

8. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I was so glad it wasn't illegal in my state! One of the plants is already putting out a baby.
    Ironically, my water is pretty cold. Not sure if it's because our weather is pretty cold and rainy rn. It doesn't get direct sun all day either. I added liquid ferts to get some nutrients in the water. Now I have green water which will be great when I have fry, so I know it's getting enough light.

9. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Not sure how I'm going to over winter the water hyacinth. I might get a glass vase and put it in my dorm room window which gets strong southern light all day. I could even put a betta or some shrimp in there, walsatd style.

My elephant ear and water lily will be overwintered in a plastic bag that's going to be set in a styrofoam box (the one my fish were shipped in), then placed in my garage.
    How does this sound?!

10. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Put some gravel in, the beneficial bacteria needs something to hang on to.
    Rachel O'Leary and Dustin's fishtank have YouTube movies about outside tubs/aquarium.

I have a 40 gal no fish tub with water hyacinths (they multiply), water lettuce and duckweed. I put ammonia in just to see what would happen and could never measure ammonia and nitrites.

11. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I have gravel covering the soil in my planters and a floating planter (for my pitcher plant).
    The floater is made with foam/sponge that is porous plus gets oxygen at the surface so I was thinking this would hold some aerobic bb
    (Side note, I love Rachel and if any one were to "blame" for my pond, it would definitely be her )

12. FishRFriendz Member Member

13. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

14. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I was looking at solar powered ones but I heard from reviews that they don't always work. Plus, my tub doesn't get direct sunlight all day. I suppose I could order it and return it if it doesn't work out