Filter for big bioload

1. FishGalore8614

FishGalore8614 Valued Member Member

Okay so i do have a lot of fish and some of my fish need a bigger tank which im trying to get but i have:
    1 pleco (might return when he gets too big)
    2 silver dollars
    2 parrot fish
    55 gallon tank
    As i clean the tank weekly, when i replace the filter cartridge, the thick amount of bio load is so much, sometimes the filter doesn't run. Im looking to see what is the best filtration system that will help with the fish. Thank you.

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

You could always get a second filter. Would help when you get ready to rehome as it would mean you would have the second filter already cycled. and would likely only have a mini cycle.

3. OP
    OP
    FishGalore8614

Do you recommend a brand name that is good quality? And is the little white mold on the filters okay?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have some stocking issues that a big filter won't fix if you'd like to discuss them :)

What about a canister filter or a sump?

Also, don't replace the filter cartridge weekly - you're throwing away your beneficial bacteria and preventing your tank from cycling. Rinse it in old tank water and reuse it until it falls apart (and start seeding new cartridges before you throw out the old one).

If your filter isn't running, there's something wrong with it. It doesn't have to do with the bioload. What kind of filter do you have?

5. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

First of all: What kind of filter do you have on there?
    Second of all, are you really replacing the filter cartidge weekly?

For my own tanks, I take the gallon size, double it, and then buy that size filter. Then, because things happen, I hang a second filter from a different manufacturer as well.

Other people probably don't do that, but better safe than sorry, and when MTS kicks off, I have plenty of cycled media.

6. OP
    OP
    FishGalore8614

Topfin 75... I feel like an idiot for throwing out my bb... The fish do seem fine... Shiuld i get another topfin or should i get a penguin wheel??

7. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I would run 2 ac110s on your tank . I no longer run any filters that take cartridges. And the white stuff on your filter is most likely mineral build up not mold.

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

9. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Fun story. I cut open a cartridge today. The amount of charcoal in it was absurdly tiny. Cartridges have their uses, but not as the manufacturer generally intended.