Filter for a 75 gallon

GregS25

I am currently using a single Aquaclear 110 in my 75g aquarium. I have attempted to add a 2nd but having issues getting one. I ordered one from Amazon that arrived broken, which I believe occurred during delivery as the box was damaged and taped together. Based on many current reviews, this appears to be a common issue ordering one from there. I found one in my local PetSmart and the same issue occurred, as the entire front section was cracked. I returned it but the local store, as well as any other stores in my area, are currently out of stock.

Would I be better off trying to find another 110 somewhere or would a canister, such as an FX4 be a better idea? My tank has a sand substrate and is currently stocked with 11 diamond tetras, a bn pleco, and a striped Raphael cat. I will be adding a severum and an electric blue acara in the near future.

I appreciate any suggestions.

86 ssinit

Get a marineland 350. Good filter and cheap. Next a tidal 110. Either of these will work with your aquaclear.

GregS25

86 ssinit said:
Get a marineland 350. Good filter and cheap. Next a tidal 110. Either of these will work with your aquaclear.
Any recommendations if I decide on going the canister route? Would an FX4 be overkill with the 110? My only experience with a canister was a Cascade I had for a 55g in the early 2000’s. It worked well for a few years until it started to leak, and I went back to hob’s since.

BlackTiger

A fluval 110 and a fx4 won't be overkill. It depends on what fish you got and if they can tolerate strong current or else it will stress them out. I have a fluval 110 and a jebo 835 on my 75g that I just bought recently but I only have 1 fish in the tank so its more than enough for me. Do you know how to minimize the micro bubbles coming from the 110 by any chance?

GregS25

BlackTiger said:
A fluval 110 and a fx4 won't be overkill. It depends on what fish you got and if they can tolerate strong current or else it will stress them out. I have a fluval 110 and a jebo 835 on my 75g that I just bought recently but I only have 1 fish in the tank so its more than enough for me. Do you know how to minimize the micro bubbles coming from the 110 by any chance?
I currently have 11 diamond tetras, a bn pleco, and a striped Raphael. Looking to add a severum and an EBA next, but my lfs is having an issue getting any eba’s In right now.

I do not have much of an issue with the micro bubbles for the most part. I use a pre-filter on the intake due to the sand substrate, which I feel reduces the flow a bit and avoids this issue. After cleaning the pre-filter I do get these once in a while but nothing crazy.

86 ssinit

Yes an fx4 would be overkill. For me I use hobs for anything under a 125.

CHJ

I run FX6s on my 75s (one 75 has 2 of them) but I run ill advised bioloads at times and love overkill in general. And some of my fish crave flow. I'm also a rabid FX6 fan so If you ask if one is appropriate for a 15 gal I will tell you your Hillstream Loaches should be just fine with it (they can climb waterfalls you know).

for a more sane filter I like https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJ9NY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 Don't forget to apply the coupon. I have one going on the 20 gal next to me right now.

Islandvic

If you want an Aquaclear that is properly shipped, try the Ken's Fish website. They are a family owned business. I buy my fish food and other supplies from Ken's. Free s&h on purchases over $49 and no tax charged, at least when it ships to Texas for me.

When you make an online order with them, there is a place for notes where you can ask them to ensure that it's packaged properly.

Ken's also sells the Marineland Penguin and Pro series of HOB's.

On a side note, if you buy anything from them, be sure to check out their extensive offerings of most brands of fish foods, and especially their Ken's Fish house brand of foods. My community, CA/SA and African eat a variety of their house brands of foods.

GlennO

An FX4 + AC110 would be overkill but there’s no harm in that, except to your wallet. You could consider adding a 407 instead. Another HOB would be the cheapest option.

BlackTiger

GregS25 said:
I currently have 11 diamond tetras, a bn pleco, and a striped Raphael. Looking to add a severum and an EBA next, but my lfs is having an issue getting any eba’s In right now.

I do not have much of an issue with the micro bubbles for the most part. I use a pre-filter on the intake due to the sand substrate, which I feel reduces the flow a bit and avoids this issue. After cleaning the pre-filter I do get these once in a while but nothing crazy.
Oh nice. Yea fish stores are getting less fish in stock due to covid. Do you keep your water level as close to the lip of the fluval/aquaclear 110?

GregS25

Islandvic said:
If you want an Aquaclear that is properly shipped, try the Ken's Fish website. They are a family owned business. I buy my fish food and other supplies from Ken's. Free s&h on purchases over $49 and no tax charged, at least when it ships to Texas for me.

When you make an online order with them, there is a place for notes where you can ask them to ensure that it's packaged properly.

Ken's also sells the Marineland Penguin and Pro series of HOB's.

On a side note, if you buy anything from them, be sure to check out their extensive offerings of most brands of fish foods, and especially their Ken's Fish house brand of foods. My community, CA/SA and African eat a variety of their house brands of foods.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to check them out.
GlennO said:
An FX4 + AC110 would be overkill but there’s no harm in that, except to your wallet. You could consider adding a 407 instead. Another HOB would be the cheapest option.
An FX4 in store at PetSmart is currently only $239.99, which is only $40 more than a 407, which is why I was thinking the FX4.

GlennO

GregS25 said:
An FX4 in store at PetSmart is currently only $239.99, which is only $40 more than a 407, which is why I was thinking the FX4.
Wow, an FX4 in Australia sells for about $380 USD.

GregS25

BlackTiger said:
Oh nice. Yea fish stores are getting less fish in stock due to covid. Do you keep your water level as close to the lip of the fluval/aquaclear 110?
It’s probably about halfway up the black trim at the top of the 75.

Islandvic

GregS25 , if you buy anything from PetSmart, download their app and play the game in it to earn 15%, 20% and 25% off coupons.

They can be used for 1 item purchased in store and stacked with a price match. The cashier will price match their Petsmart website pricing and Chewy website pricing.

Sometimes the FX4 will go down to $199. Only time cheaper is on Black Friday at $149. If you can catch it at $199 and add the 20-25% off coupon, you can get a decent deal.

Also, if you are looking for EBA's and Severums, I would suggest to take a look at the Imperial Tropicals website.

I ordered a Red Severum and 3 Geophagus Red Head Tapajos a few months ago from them. The year before, my friend and I made a couple of orders from them and all their fish always came in healthy and as advertised.

I also have a Nicaraguan cichlid from them that has excellent colors and it's not very aggressive.

GregS25

Islandvic said:
GregS25 , if you buy anything from PetSmart, download their app and play the game in it to earn 15%, 20% and 25% off coupons.

They can be used for 1 item purchased in store and stacked with a price match. The cashier will price match their Petsmart website pricing and Chewy website pricing.

Sometimes the FX4 will go down to $199. Only time cheaper is on Black Friday at $149. If you can catch it at $199 and add the 20-25% off coupon, you can get a decent deal.

Also, if you are looking for EBA's and Severums, I would suggest to take a look at the Imperial Tropicals website.

I ordered a Red Severum and 3 Geophagus Red Head Tapajos a few months ago from them. The year before, my friend and I made a couple of orders from them and all their fish always came in healthy and as advertised.

I also have a Nicaraguan cichlid from them that has excellent colors and it's not very aggressive.
The web price on Petsmart.com is $280. In store the price is $300 plus 20% off right now. Do you know if they will allow the app coupons on top of the 20% off in store?

I did look into both Imperial Tropics and The Wet Spot several weeks ago but I couldn’t get both in stock and close enough in size. Since I don’t currently have any cichlids in my tank, I am afraid adding just one of them right now could lead to territorial issues when I add others. My lfs usually places their orders on Mondays, so I should check both sites next week if I still can’t get them locally.

What size tank do you keep your geos in? These are another fish I like but wasn’t sure if they would work in a 75 with a severum, since I have heard they should be kept in groups.

CHJ

GregS25 said:
Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to check them out.

I loath the 30x/40x canisters. 40$ to move to FX is a no brainer for me.
That said the only time I buy FX is Black Friday at 50% off. So if you can keep yourself going until then you can save a big chunk of dough.

GregS25

CHJ said:
I loath the 30x/40x canisters. 40$ to move to FX is a no brainer for me.
That said the only time I buy FX is Black Friday at 50% off. So if you can keep yourself going until then you can save a big chunk of dough.
I ended up finding another AC110 at a PetSmart 45 minutes away. It was only $60 after a 25% off coupon in the app. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Islandvic

GregS25 , my Petsmart will apply the app's coupon code to any in-store sales price.

Currently my 3 geophagus tapajos, gold and red spotted Severums are all juveniles and are in our 65g community tank. Eventually they will go to a larger tank.

I think 3 geo tapajos and a severum would do fine in your 75g.

I had to order the red spotted severum from Imperial Tropicals, but the gold severum and EBA came from a PetSmart from a different town. I have noticed that different Petsmarts in my state have slightly different stockings.

Also, good score on your AC110 for $60.

GregS25

Islandvic said:
GregS25 , my Petsmart will apply the app's coupon code to any in-store sales price.

Currently my 3 geophagus tapajos, gold and red spotted Severums are all juveniles and are in our 65g community tank. Eventually they will go to a larger tank.

I think 3 geo tapajos and a severum would do fine in your 75g.

I had to order the red spotted severum from Imperial Tropicals, but the gold severum and EBA came from a PetSmart from a different town. I have noticed that different Petsmarts in my state have slightly different stockings.

Also, good score on your AC110 for $60.
My son really likes the red shoulder severum but I have tried several local stores within an hour of me and nobody can get them right now. The Wetspot currently has them available to ship, but does not have any eba or geo tapajos to order with them. The other issue is I need to get them on the smaller side. My diamond tetras had some fry in early December, and they are only the size of neon right now. I will settle for another type of severum if I can find one with a smaller eba or geo.

Have you had any issues with your eba or severum from PetSmart? One about 20 minutes away currently has both in stock right now. The last time I was in this location the eba they had was not very colorful, so I have been hesitant to head back.
Since I set up the new ac110, I noticed the flow set halfway is stronger than the initial one I purchased is at full flow. The pre-filter and media sponge are both clean. Do I need to perform maintenance on the impeller to increase the flow?

Islandvic

The out of town Petsmart I got the EBA and gold severum had their tanks kept better than the one where I live. I asked the employee to net me the larger one of each type. They had 6 or so of each to choose from, amd they actually all looked decent.

I've had them since early November and they are doing fine still. Colors are good and they are putting on some size.

I put them in a temporary quarantine for about 2 weeks before dropping them into the community tank. I did WC's every 3-4 days, and treated with Kordon Rid Ich Plus for the 1st week just in case they had ich.

On your AC110, make sure the intake tube is fully seated. Sometimes you think it is, but it can be pushed down slightly more.

Maybe that's the problem?

GregS25

Islandvic said:
The out of town Petsmart I got the EBA and gold severum had their tanks kept better than the one where I live. I asked the employee to net me the larger one of each type. They had 6 or so of each to choose from, amd they actually all looked decent.

I've had them since early November and they are doing fine still. Colors are good and they are putting on some size.

I put them in a temporary quarantine for about 2 weeks before dropping them into the community tank. I did WC's every 3-4 days, and treated with Kordon Rid Ich Plus for the 1st week just in case they had ich.

On your AC110, make sure the intake tube is fully seated. Sometimes you think it is, but it can be pushed down slightly more.

Maybe that's the problem?
Thanks for the tip. Tomorrow is my water change day, so I will try this. I guess it’s possible it could have lifted a bit while cleaning the pre-filter. If this doesn’t work I will pull it apart and check the impeller.
I am also going to check with my lfs to see what is available to order this week and stop at the PetSmart with the EBA if the lfs still can’t get what I would like. If neither option works, I am leaning toward ordering a red shoulder severum and a regular blue acara from The Wetspot, as they currently have both in stock. The only issue is this leaves me under their minimum for shipping. I will post in the stocking section before I orde, but any suggestions on something that could work with these 2?

Islandvic

Does the Wet Spot have a gold or red spotted severum you can also get?

Or maybe get 2x EBA's ?

Also, check into Rainbowfish.

Males have color while females generally do not. Boesmani, Turquoise, Millennium, Australian or Emerald would be good ones to look into. Maybe a handful of males from one or two of those types could complete your order. Ive got 2 Australian and 2 Boesmani in our community tank, and they have been very hardy and grew quickly.

GregS25

Islandvic said:
Does the Wet Spot have a gold or red spotted severum you can also get?

Or maybe get 2x EBA's ?

Also, check into Rainbowfish.

Males have color while females generally do not. Boesmani, Turquoise, Millennium, Australian or Emerald would be good ones to look into. Maybe a handful of males from one or two of those types could complete your order. Ive got 2 Australian and 2 Boesmani in our community tank, and they have been very hardy and grew quickly.
I had a school of Boesmani in a 55g I had last year. I did not find them hardy, as I ended up having a mini cycle in the tank and lost the entire school. No other fish in the tank were impacted.
My lfs had an EBA today but no severum, so I stopped at a Petsmart near there. I ended up getting an EBA and a turquoise severum. The EBA’s color looks much better than the ones I saw the last time I was there several months ago, so I decided to try them.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom