Filter for a 75 Gallon

KonaBoy
Well, as some people may have read, I'm going to be getting a 75 gallon this summer, and while most of the the other descisions are straight-forward, the filter has got me stumped. Personally, I've always used HOB's (my favourite has got to be my Aquaclear), so that's what I initially planned. My stocking plan right now is 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Angel, 2 or 3 Keyhole's, maybe some Rainbow fish (I'm going for a S.A. tank), and as you can tell, it won't be very heavily stocked. My initial plan was to get two Eheim Liberty 200's (one on each end), or one big Aquaclear 110. However, when I posted about this on another forum ;smack I'm the yellow guy, I love this place), I was told by a number of people that there was no way a HOB would do the job. I was even told to get a Eheim canister and an AC 110 I know Angels can be poopers, but I think that the bio-load I'd have in this tank is pretty small. Any thoughts?

Cody
alot of people say with tanks that size normally 75 and up, that you should use a canister you could but do you need to, no, I would get a marine land bio wheel filter either one of the pengiun or emperor models. and then get another filter of your liking its always good to have more flitration then you need. or the filter combos you suggested would work to, but you don't need a canister filter

Tavel
You can certainly get away with a HOB, I used a Tetratec PF300 for a long time with a heavy load.* Your REAL problem will be in finding a filter to fit over the lip of the aquarium, because 75G tend to have much wider lips for some reason. Circulation can also be a problem, you'll either want a powerhead to help lateral circulation, or just get a filter with directional output (like the PF300/500 I mentioned...piece of junk though, not recommended!).

However, I think you'll eventually find yourself longing for a canister in the future...so I would just start off with a canister.

*(adult aquatic TURTLE, 2 tinfoil barbs, 2 beunos aires tetras, 3 Giant danios, 1 Chinese algae eater, and an eclipse catfish; all was well until the turtle started eating fish!)

COBettaCouple
I prefer HOBs too and think a couple of HOBs, each about 1/3rd of the tank length from a side would work for your tank. Just look for at least 750gph out of them, combined.

Mizzkimberly
HI everyone, I just purchased a 75 gallon tank. It came with one whisper filter(double filter) and one heater 100 watts. I am new to larger fish tank care but I just don't see how one double filter is gonna work. I can't see the water moving and I'm thinking I should be able to see it. Also there is no way that 100 w heater is gonna work right?

bettafish2816
hI and welcome to fishlore

one 100 watt heater definitely won't be enough for you, i'd go for two marineland stealth heaters rated for 55 gallon tanks (200 watts each) so you can have one at each end of the tank to eliminate any dead spots

also, i'd consider a canister filter instead of the HOB or in-tank filter. I don't have one myself so I can't recommend a brand for you, but they're definitely much more efficient and provide significantly more filtration for large tanks. lots of members here have them and can give you more info

tomchitown
hI and welcome to fishlore ,
I use a marineland C360 canister filter for my 75 gallon tank... works great ...not a single problem

Mizzkimberly
Thanks for the welcome. I looked at the canister filters online and that will have to be on my wish list. It said the price was from 114-200 dollars...sigh. I guess I will try another double whisper filter for the otherside. I'm gonna pick up my heaters and filter tomorrow. I'm so excited to get my fish, excited but patient. My tank looks pitiful right now, gravel and two plants....

Aquarist
As mentioned above 2 200w stealths would be great...by having 2 you avoid cold spots in the tank. If you don't add a canister filter....use the whisper along with an Aqua Clear HOB. I've been very impressed with my AC HOB. Get the largest one available. I have a 70 and I believe there is one larger as well.

Mizzkimberly
I'm letting the tank cycle now...its hard to be patient but worth it in the end. I did find a nozzle on my whisper filter and turned it up last night so it is working much better than before. I will probably go ahead and add another double filter to the other side. I was looking at the aqua clear and I do like those.

Here is what I am thinking of adding based on research of what will get along well. I really wanted a puffer but after reading on this site I know that's not an option for a community tank.

Tiger barb
angelfish
silver dollar fish
jellybean fish

any other suggestions?

oh and a pleco eventually, once the aquarium actually has something for him to eat. I love those really big plecos!

bettafish2816
hmm, I think that tiger barbs AND angels would be asking for trouble. tiger barbs are pretty nippy and the angels long flowing fins would be very tempting.

if you were to get a pleco, i'd go with one of the smaller varieties such as the bristlenose pleco, the common pleco gets gigantic (24 inches) and IMO really needs a much bigger tank than a 75.

a huge school of tiger barbs and two bristlenose plecos OR a red tail shark would be pretty neat, or a large school of silver dollars with the two BN plecos on the bottom would be good too.

Mizzkimberly
I found out about the angelfish today at the petstore. So basically what I plan to get then is
tigerbarbs
oscar (the one that has a leopard print look to it)
jellybean fish
silver dollars

I will check on the redtail shark, my son would love to have a shark! My fish store lets you trade in your plecos if they get to big....I really like this one that they have right now he is about six inches long.

Okay one question, when I buy these fish do I need to buy just a couple or a school of them? I wasn't sure as far as aggression goes. I have read on some sites that buying more than two of a kind causes agression????

bettafish2816
I wouldn't get the oscar, they get HUGE and would probably end up eating your tiger barbs.

for the tiger barbs, you'll want at least six but more is better to keep the aggression down. silver dollars you'll want at least three, but again more is better for their school. i'm not sure on the jellybean fish, hopefully someone else can give you more info

the RTS would probably be fine on the bottom

Mizzkimberly
Okay went to the pet store today and got my new heaters, plants and rocks for the aquarium. After reading about the oscars I am going to have to pass on them too. I wonder if I am gonna get any of the fish I really wanted after all. I did see the redtail shark and my son went crazy over it. We are def gonna add it and the tiger barbs. My fish store is having a 50% off sale on all fish!

boilerwxman
Picked up a nice 75 gallon tank and stand for $100. Working on getting components for it. Right now I am trying to decide on filtration. Here is what I am mulling over. (Just a note I plan on using sand as my substrate)

Based on some recommendations here and other forums I seem to be leaning towards a Fluval 406 Canister Filter along with an AquaClear 110 HOB. The reason I like this is because of having duel filtration in case one goes bad or if you stop to clean one you have one running.

The option I have seen is to go with just one filter the Fluval FX5. The draw back I am seeing with this one is the $$$ and that it doesn't come with the needed sponges, bio max ect. for the tray and you have to buy all that separately. (I may be wrong with that)

What are your thoughts, Opinions, suggestions? Are there other brands better than this? If you had to start a 75 gallon what filtration would you pick.

Thank you. Once I get this figured out then I turn my attention to lighting.

ryanr
On a 75, I'd consider 2 canisters, rather than the canister/HOB combination.

Do you have a stocking plan? The bio-load may help determine how much filtration you're likely to need.

There's no need to worry about stopping filters for cleaning. The short time it'll be off won't cause any problems.

With a canister, you want to aI'm for at least 6x turnover, depending on bio-load, maybe more. So in total you'll want about 450GPH minimum. So ideally 2 x Fluval 306s would give about 600gph.

The reason I like the idea of two is so you can have pickups/intakes at either end of the aquarium.

boilerwxman
Honestly we don't know what kind of stocking we are looking at. Trying to figure out a nice peaceful community. Our water once we get started will have high pH and be Hard. That I know. Also My family would like the GLOFish as well as a few more schooling type fish. Not sure we can have those and some kind of a small freshwater shark. We aren't really concerned with stocking just yet but would like to have good filtration. Even thinking of 406 and a 306 possibly as an idea. Thank you;

luke355027355027
I decreased and now have two fluval 205s and a sponge filter on mine I hope to get a 306 and replace and 205 so my 75 gallon would have a fluval 306 and a 205. If I were you the 406 with a smaller canister or a 306 and a 306 would be fine. I think the FX5 is a bit over kill

Meeps83
The 300 gph of the Fluval 306 is before any media is installed. Once fully stocked, the gph will be much lower. Also, the Fluvals have a feature that can slow down the slow if it is too strong. I have 2 Fluval 406's on my 60 gallon tank. Remember, you can always slow down the filtration but you can't increase it once you are running at full speed.

AlyeskaGirl
I agree the FX5 would be too much. Its my filtration on my 125g along with an AC110. Its a strong filter and you can't adjust it. A great canister though. Holds a ton of media.

wisecrackerz
Honestly, I know everybody here hates HOBs for anything larger than a 10, but I like them. They're a great way to medicate and to feed. Also, if I need to add some active carbon, do I want to take apart a canister filter? No, no I do not. I want to take off the top of my HOB, still running, and slide in a little pouch of active carbon and remove whatever it was I wanted to remove. I'm setting up my 75 right now, and my final filtration plan is a 405 (if I can find one, a 406 if I can't) and two PF60s, which should give me right around 1000gph, 660 HOB and 340 canister; a little more than is strictly needed, but it'll allow me to have a steady directional flow in the aquarium and it'll help compensate for the fact that I have heavy waste producers and very few plants.

boilerwxman
I know many of you have said the FX5 is over kill but I do have the chance to get a used on for around $100. If you could get one that cheap would you?

Still thinking 406 and possibly a smaller canister like 306 or AC110 for later once I start the cycling process.

Thank You

luke355027355027
I know many of you have said the FX5 is over kill but I do have the chance to get a used on for around $100. If you could get one that cheap would you?

Still thinking 406 and possibly a smaller canister like 306 or AC110 for later once I start the cycling process.

Thank You

I mis explained that. The more filtration the better. For that sized tank speidning 300 for an FX5 would be nesscary. If you can get a used one for about 100 dollars that yes I would take it. As long as your fish aren't constantly swimming around in the current your good. So I would say yes to the FX5 if you can get it cheaply.

Honestly, I know everybody here hates HOBs for anything larger than a 10, but I like them. They're a great way to medicate and to feed. Also, if I need to add some active carbon, do I want to take apart a canister filter? No, no I do not. I want to take off the top of my HOB, still running, and slide in a little pouch of active carbon and remove whatever it was I wanted to remove. I'm setting up my 75 right now, and my final filtration plan is a 405 (if I can find one, a 406 if I can't) and two PF60s, which should give me right around 1000gph, 660 HOB and 340 canister; a little more than is strictly needed, but it'll allow me to have a steady directional flow in the aquarium and it'll help compensate for the fact that I have heavy waste producers and very few plants.

I take those ceramic ring and put them in small quater inch nylon netting and put them in my HOB. Its a tetra whisper 30 60. I just don't like the HOB well hanging off the back

boilerwxman
Thank you waiting to see some photos on this filter to see what kind of shape it is in. I may go that route. If I go the 406 and either a second canister or HOB would I need a power head to keep the water moving?

Dlondon95
You should check out the SunSun (Aquatop) canister filters on Ebay. They work very well, come in different sizes, and are VERY cheap.

I have the 365gph model on my 75 gallon and it only cost me $75!

wisecrackerz
I take those ceramic ring and put them in small quater inch nylon netting and put them in my HOB. Its a tetra whisper 30 60. I just don't like the HOB well hanging off the back

I actually just did that earlier this week. Works pretty well, size-wise. I like it, so far.

slipknot79
iv used a fluval 404-405 on my 75 gallon before and the flow rate is actually very good so good in fact it created wirlpools and a huge underwater current now that also depends were u place ur outake

luke355027355027
I actually like HOB on my 160 gallon. Any food my oscars miss the waterfall effect pushed them under water and they see it. I like HOBS and like I said I put ceramic rings in mine.

boilerwxman
Have made some big decisions when it comes to my 75 gallon tank. We found a great LFS in Boise ID (2 hrs away but will be worth the trip to get fish) After talking wit the owner I have decided to go with Lake MalawI Cichlids. Here in ID our water is perfect for pH and Hardness for Cichlids. I am still leaning towards the AquaTop canister filter BUT the owner at the store showed me he uses Rena Xp3 & Xp4 on his tanks. I may even think of the combination of HOB and Canister.

luke355027355027
I run a combination on my 160 gallon and I like it. The canister filter provides the biological and my HOB filter I shove little ceramic rings in their and that helps. There's nothing wrong with HOB but some people just don't like the look or some can be loud. I would recommend a whisper. I have a whisper 30-60 that's about 8 years old and it works fine.

crayfish1
I use an Aquaclear 110 on a 75 gallon tank and find it is very efficient.I have not changed my tank in 2 years and it is still very clear

FishJunkie50
What is the best HOB filter for a 75 gallon tank and what is the best canister filter to get?

AlexAlex
I'm not that knowledgeable on Canister Filters, but IMO and IME, Aqua Clear's are the best. I'd suggest a 110 (the highest rate on the GPH). I have 2 AC 110's on my 75 Gallon, and they work fabulously.

FishJunkie50
How's cleaning and maintenance?

Reefdweller
Scratch Marinedepot

I can not really recommend a HOB filter for a 75 because I use a wet/dry (sump) system on mine but in addition to the wet/dry I use the fluval 406 and it does a great job at cleaning the tank. The spray bar attachment is nice as well. My water is always clear and its not hard at all to clean. Also, the replacement media, polishing pads etc are priced fairly. You can pick up the fluval 406's on amazon for around $150 but I would check with Marinedepot.com as well.

UPDATE: Scratch the Marinedepot idea... they are over $200 there. Amazon is $157 for the same product.

AlexAlex
The AC's have a sponge, the carbon bag and the bio max stones. You can take out the carbon, if you don't want to use that, and either put more sponge in it or something else that will benefit.

On the cleaning them, I only "Lightly" clean the insides about once every 6 months. That is mostly where your Beneficial Bacteria lives and you don't want to disturb it too awfully much.

I clean my sponges out (lightly) in used tank water in a bucket every other water change (Bi-weekly). I use carbon in my tanks as a "shiner" for the water. Keeps it more pristine, IMO. I change that every 4 weeks.

That's pretty much the extent of cleaning them.

IMO, the Fluvals are quite pricey.

FishJunkie50
Ok thanks for the suggestions!

brodylane1122
I would second the AC's for HOB. I've heard so many good things about them. And quite frankly, it's hard to find any other dual filters that would be enough for a 75. I personally use Penguin Biowheels for my smaller tanks, but even two of the 350's probably would only do average. I personally like to "over filter my tanks". With HOB's I aI'm for 12-15 times GPH. On my 29 I have around 450 GPH.

Jaysee
I run 2 canisters on all my bigger tanks. My 75 has an XP3 and a sunsun 303 which combine for 720 gph and a ton of media. Overkill? Yeah, but it keeps the tank spotless and I rarely have to clean the filters.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
skar
Replies
Views