Question Filter For a 75 Gallon Tank

TrashPastor110

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I have a 75 gallon tank that I plan on putting four or five fancy goldfish into. What would be a good filter to get for this tank?

Charlie’s Dad

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My wife and I have two 75s. Currently on one tank we have an Eheim 2216 I believe is the number and on the the other a Sunsun 302. The latter has been up and running for over 2 years with no issues at all. The other we just got going a couple of weeks ago.

I would not be gunshy at all on the Sunsun line of canisters at all. For the money you have more bang for your buck. Our Eheim was a filter that was gifted to us. I would have put another Sunsun on it if it had not been for this fact.

Keep us post on which you filter you go with and good luck!

OP
TrashPastor110

TrashPastor110

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Charlie’s Dad said:
My wife and I have two 75s. Currently on one tank we have an Eheim 2216 I believe is the number and on the the other a Sunsun 302. The latter has been up and running for over 2 years with no issues at all. The other we just got going a couple of weeks ago.

I would not be gunshy at all on the Sunsun line of canisters at all. For the money you have more bang for your buck. Our Eheim was a filter that was gifted to us. I would have put another Sunsun on it if it had not been for this fact.

Keep us post on which you filter you go with and good luck!
That sounds great, I plan on getting the Sunsun in that case, but this is the first canister filter I will have ever gotten. So what do I need to know about them? For example, should I buy more filter media, and what kind should I get? And how do I clean the filter, and how often?

Gh05t

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get the largest SunSun you can afford...yes you will need much more media than it comes with. I would personally just use some crushed lava rock(pond media) or ceramic rings both can be found on ebay for very inexpensive. In addition to this add a HOB and load it with floss pads/sponge to handle mechanical filtration. It is difficult to find a HOB that will actually fit on the rim of a 75G...Whisper 60s and AC110s, Emporer 400s are about the only common ones out there that will fit. Any of those will work out fine. Id also suggest a prefilter on your canister...Goldies dig and create lots of waste...it is easier to rinse out a prefilter weekly than it is to crack open a glorified 5gallon bucket full of media once a month. I personally only clean my canisters out 2x per year because of these methods.

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TrashPastor110 said:
Hello, I have a 75 gallon tank that I plan on putting four or five fancy goldfish into. What would be a good filter to get for this tank?
Fx4

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom