Filter For A 10 Gallon

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by ToRo, Apr 22, 2017.

1. ToRoValued MemberMember

I have a cycled 10 gallon tank with a Aqueon Quiet Flow filter. Does anyone know if these are good filters or should I change to a Aquaclear 20 (I keep reading that those are good filters) and if so, what happens to my cycled tank/filter? Is it OK to switch or does it cause problems with the tank?

Thanks!

2. KasshanWell Known MemberMember

i have aqueon filters, reliable for a 10gal; just not powerful enough for anything else. but given the chance i went for aquaclear as well, however, im planning ahead for an upgrade and put an AQ50 on my 10g set at a lower setting. works perfectly.

3. pixelhootValued MemberMember

What size does the filter say it's for? From my experience, Aqueon is a a good economic brand to use. :>
    If you really want to switch, running both filters together for a month is good! Maintains your cycle and less stress on the fish while everything grows on your new filter.

4. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

The Aqueon you have should do ok. If you just really want to spend some money than the Aquaclear 20 would be a good upgrade and offer some overfiltration which is always a plus.

5. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Your filter should be fine unless you're noticing problems with water quality.

Heck, if you wanna get the aquaclear get it, use both, over filtration is never bad.

If you decide to replace your filter just move your aqeon media to the new filter and your cycle will be intact, after a few weeks 4-6 you can remove the old media, or you can run both filters until the new filter is colonized with bacteria though this could take a little longer depending on your bioload

6. ToRoValued MemberMember

Thank you!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  7. Corydora ProValued MemberMember

If your looking to upgrade your filter go with the AquaClear 50. Sure, that's allot of filtration but it is always better to over filter as it will help keep your tank very clean. It's also expandable, so if you upgrade to a 20g tank later on you can use the same filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice