Filter for 75 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by FishJunkie50, Dec 26, 2012.

1. F

FishJunkie50 New Member Member

What is the best HOB filter for a 75 gallon tank and what is the best canister filter to get?

2. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I'm not that knowledgeable on Canister Filters, but IMO and IME, Aqua Clear's are the best. I'd suggest a 110 (the highest rate on the GPH). I have 2 AC 110's on my 75 Gallon, and they work fabulously. :)

3. OP
    OP
    F

How's cleaning and maintenance?

4. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Scratch Marinedepot

I can not really recommend a HOB filter for a 75 because I use a wet/dry (sump) system on mine but in addition to the wet/dry I use the fluval 406 and it does a great job at cleaning the tank. The spray bar attachment is nice as well. My water is always clear and its not hard at all to clean. Also, the replacement media, polishing pads etc are priced fairly. You can pick up the fluval 406's on amazon for around $150 but I would check with Marinedepot.com as well.

UPDATE: Scratch the Marinedepot idea... they are over $200 there. Amazon is $157 for the same product.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

The AC's have a sponge, the carbon bag and the bio max stones. You can take out the carbon, if you don't want to use that, and either put more sponge in it or something else that will benefit.

On the cleaning them, I only "Lightly" clean the insides about once every 6 months. That is mostly where your Beneficial Bacteria lives and you don't want to disturb it too awfully much.

I clean my sponges out (lightly) in used tank water in a bucket every other water change (Bi-weekly). I use carbon in my tanks as a "shiner" for the water. Keeps it more pristine, IMO. I change that every 4 weeks.

That's pretty much the extent of cleaning them.

IMO, the Fluvals are quite pricey.

6. OP
    OP
    F

Ok thanks for the suggestions!

7. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

I would second the AC's for HOB. I've heard so many good things about them. And quite frankly, it's hard to find any other dual filters that would be enough for a 75. I personally use Penguin Biowheels for my smaller tanks, but even two of the 350's probably would only do average. I personally like to "over filter my tanks". With HOB's I aim for 12-15 times GPH. On my 29 I have around 450 GPH.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I run 2 canisters on all my bigger tanks. My 75 has an XP3 and a sunsun 303 which combine for 720 gph and a ton of media. Overkill? Yeah, but it keeps the tank spotless and I rarely have to clean the filters.

9. brodylane1122

And I thought I was overkill!

10. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

I'm a big fan of the penguins. I have 2 350s on my 55 gallon. For a 75 gallon I would run 2 emperor 400s. All I ever have used is the marineland HOB filters. Now as far as the aquaclear filters go I have never used them but hear great things about them. I will definitely try them next when I need a new filter. I know someone running 3 aquaclear 110s on his 125 gallon cichlid tank and the water is crystal clear.

11. brodylane1122

And a great thing about the penguins is that the whole biowheel part doesn't actually have to be used. I've read some articles stating that with and without the biowheel, doesn't really make a huge difference on the beneficial bacteria. Marinelands have jsut been very reliable for me, at least for a very simple, average setup.

Just a little to add...

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The reason you can remove the wheel on a penguin and not have it impact the tank is because the water that spins the wheel has already been through the filter media, so there is a minimal amount of ammonia in the water by the time it gets to the wheel. The emperors, on the other hand, have a spraybar that drives the wheel. There is a second pump that feeds the spraybar unfiltered water, so the water that drives an emperor wheel has a maximum amount of ammonia, which maintains a much larger bacteria colony.

13. brodylane1122

Good to know that. Never used the emporers before.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice