Filter For 40 Gallon Breeder

Mizzom

I have an aqua clear 110 HOB filter. Would this create too much flow a 40 gallon breeder tank? Will be a planted low tech tank.
Thanks.

Bryangar

It should be fine, after all you can reduce the flow if it is too harsh.

PonzLL

I have an AQ70 in mine and run it at full speed. No issues whatsoever, and if you wanted more filtration I'm sure you could get away with running yours at full speed.

I've been thinking of adding a sponge filter behind the driftwood though, just to help pull things out of the water.

Mizzom

I have an AQ70 in mine and run it at full speed. No issues whatsoever, and if you wanted more filtration I'm sure you could get away with running yours at full speed.

I've been thinking of adding a sponge filter behind the driftwood though, just to help pull things out of the water.
I do have a AQ70, but thought I'd try the 110 first. I heard somewhere that you could hook up a sponge filter somehow to the 110 and have it work through there. I wish I knew how to do that as I like that idea too.

PonzLL

I put a sponge over my intake if that’s what you mean

THRESHER

I do have a AQ70, but thought I'd try the 110 first. I heard somewhere that you could hook up a sponge filter somehow to the 110 and have it work through there. I wish I knew how to do that as I like that idea too.

Here ya go. The video is just to give you an idea how to attach the sponge filter to the intake of the AC 70/110. You don't need a giant sponge, just a smaller one. To be sure take the intake tube to your lfs and get a sponge that will fit right on. Viola!

Shivermetimbers

I run a ac110 in my 40 breeder, with a fluval edge prefilter on it. The prefilter holds a lot of junk and have to squeeze it out once a week, and replace every few months. I try and keep the water level up, and not plant something sensitive in the discharge flow, otherwise it's a great choice.

bitseriously

I suspect that most folks here that have this size tank (I'm a very new addition to this list) will recommend 2 filter, or a good filter plus sponges.
I think the 110 will be fine, but if you're finding the return flow rate is too much even on min setting, there are some easy water bottle outflow mods you can check out online/youtube. Or you can buy the blade/propeller part of the impeller from a AC70, which is compatible with the 110 and will pull less water.

Mizzom

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information. Will be watching the video during my lunch hour. Good to know there are others running the A110 on the 40B. I will be getting my tank on Sunday ($1/gallon sale at Petco). I have already gathered most of everything else I need.

bitseriously

I really envy all you US shoppers that $1/gallon thing. If we want those rates north of the border, we have to buy used. Leak test, sterilize, clean, scrape, sometimes re-seal. Yeesh. Hope you all appreciate how lucky you are!

PonzLL

I’d rather pay full price for aquariums and get insulin for free tbh

Islandvic

that youtube channel posted above is an excellent resource! I watched tons of his videos.

I have 4 Aquaclear HOB's and each uses some sort of pre-filter. When using a pre-filter sponge, I cut the AQ sponge that goes in the bottom basket in half. That gives me more room in the basket for other media. What I lose by cutting the AQ sponge in half, I gain back with the addition of the pre-filter sponge on the intake tube!

I use either Lustar ATI Filter-Max kits, or use the replacement sponges that are for the Petsmart Top Fin internal filters and attach them with a ziptie to the intake tube.

I use the Filter-Max III on my AQ 110. Be careful with the fittings. Do not force them on, or they may start to have stress cracks. Twist the adapters together with normal pressure and they work fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views
619CoryFan
Replies