Filter for 29 gallon goldfish tank

SgtTesla

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 2 2" long fancy goldfish. They're currently in a 10 gallon, I'll be moving them into the 29 soon. I bought a sponge filter rated for 40 gallons, there will also be a bubble wall in the tank. I'm still not sure what filter to get for them, solid gold aquatics on youtube recommended the aquaclear hob, and pure goldfish recommended a fluval hob. Not sure which one to pick, or if there is a better option?

Solid gold's recommendation: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000260FUM/?coliid=I31NRR10W4JAEF&colid=B2KJ9E6WNFWL&psc=1
Pure goldfish's recommendation: Amazon.com : Fluval C2 Power Filter : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies

Does anybody use either of these, or would you recommend a different filter?

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They are both good, I personally have an old aquaclear hob, it’s 30 years old and runs like a champ keeping my tank crystal, but I’m pretty sure fluval bought out aquaclear and I know they both make good stuff, so whichever is probably fine.

I think the aquaclears are less techy and more reliable and likely to run longer, but fluval might be a little quieter and will still work very well and should run for a long time. They are both nice brands.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Could you possibly upgrade to 40? The bare minimum for 1 fancy is 30 gal and 15 more gal for each additional. A 55 would be better because 40 gal for one and 15 for additional is much more preffered.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I might suggest the new gold standard in filters, the Seachem Tidal filters for just some of the following advantages: Self priming w/submerged pump so it’s quiet and will always start after a power failure or maintenance, removable no spill media basket for easy cleaning and locks in place and won’t push up flooding your floor, variable flow control from 20-100% in 10% increments, built in skimmer, self cleaning impeller and comes with the best bio media, Seachem Matrix for nitrate reduction.

The Tidal 75 at 350 gph would be great for a 29 gallon. Only $60 at Kens Fish with free shipping.

https://kensfish.com/products/seachem-tidal-75-power-filter?_pos=8&_sid=6f45102d0&_ss=r

SgtTesla

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could you possibly upgrade to 40? The bare minimum for 1 fancy is 30 gal and 15 more gal for each additional. A 55 would be better because 40 gal for one and 15 for additional is much more preffered.
Oops, I thought the minimum tank size for fancies was 20 gallons. I was going to get a 40 gallon, but am about 3-5" short no matter where I try to put it... the 29 is temporary. I am planning on moving out in the next year or so, and was planning on upgrading them to a 55 gallon after the move. Do you think they will be okay in the 29 until then?

SgtTesla

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
eehhhh a year is alot. They might have a shortened lifespan....
Well ****..... would ramping up filtration help? Or possibly splitting them up and stacking 2 29 gallons?
And you said 'might', does that mean they might just not take the record for the longest living goldfish or they're gonna drop dead at 3 years old??
These guys just kinda fell in my lap tbh, wasn't planning on getting anything other than bettas til I moved. But I'm attached to the little guys at this point, was worried they wouldn't make it through the parasite scare when I first got them

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Filtration won't do anything if the tank is too small. Sorry.

Yes splitting them up would be better. two 29 gal right?

GumYu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I used to use aquaclears. Now i use Tidals. I have a medium size blue oranda in a 75g with 2 Tidal 110s. The extra flow and filtration doesn't bother him. I also run a Tidal 110 in a 29g tank.
They have adjustable flow rate, a real media basket, and are self priming.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom